Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sump Baffeling

Name
    Nathan
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Ive had a browse around the web, but i cant seem to find much in the way of a kit or a DIY for baffeling(spelling?) a 4AGE 20v Sump.

Any Ideas? Anyone had this done/ done it themselves?

Ive spun bearings in 2 4AGE smallports now, and im not willing to take the risk with the 20v Turbs.

Any help would be appreciated!

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

its basically the same technique no matter what the engine. enlarge capacity, a some baffles with 1 way trap doors (but not fully sealed).

some type of proper motorsport type workshop would be a good place to have it done if you dont plan diy.

what about a moroso acusump?
    78's

Name
    Nathan
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

What the fuck is a "moroso acusump"?

Also i dont really want to be spending stupid money on the sump either.

Name
    Pete
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

accusump - google it

its the closest thing to a dry sump, only you're better off spending an extra $500-1000 and just dry sumping.

you're best winging it as well, but baffling is ok, but don't warp the sump flange too much

Ok
    Name
    Seamus
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

That's mine. Pretty basic i guess. I just sectioned it off, and put a baffle on each side (that can only open towards the centre section, oil pickup)

I'm not going to debate if it'll work better than XXXXX idea, but it should be a fair bit better than stock i.e. nothing

If anyone sees why not though i welcome their opinion
    4AGE & 7AGE Forged Connecting Rods - Lightweight Flywheels - And Much More

^ Clicky clicky!

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

that looks like a fantastic setup toxin

do you have any closeups of the trapdoors you have created between the compartments?

my initial thought was just that at high rpms (where all the damage is done in terms of oil starvation) will the trap door arrangement allow the oil to "gush" towards the pick up, or will it almost act as a preventative and the oil will have to make its way around the baffles and eventually find its way to the pickup? (ie possibly be worse than standard)

just a thought i had...

also have you made the sump any bigger at all, or just added baffles in? (just curious)

In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Name
    Andrew
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I made that thread when I was building my sump. There are some good pics of the baffles etc that I took during the building process.

It seems to work well when i fill it with oil and shake it around or tip it to simulate cornering. I haven't run it yet as the car is still a work in progress.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ke70dave @ Sep 25 2008, 05:23 PM) </div>I was worried about this too, but i've tried pumping the oil out of the centre pickup well to simulate the engine oil pump and it fills as quickly as I pump it out. If you have a look at the toymods link, you'll see I also designed it so that all the return oil goes through the centre area before it fills the outer sump area through 10mm overflow holes in the fixed baffles (not pictured, I drilled 3 of them in the front fixed baffle after I took the pic), so the centre bit is always being topped up.

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

af300e that setup you have created is fantastic.

some great innovation there.

i think thats almost a perfect setup, with the oil returning back to the centre, and the baffles are just there to stop the reservoir of oil from splashing around to much. and i guess it has an incorporated windage plate type thing, so if the car was to get some airborne action 5L of oil isn't going to splash up into bottom end... (and thus possibly starving the pickup)

i really like those plates you have in there that are at 45 degrees, to channel the oil back through the gates.

be interested to see how it goes.

very impressed :2thumbs:
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Name
    Andrew
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

:blush: Thanks Dave. I'm trying to have the car finished in the next couple of months so I'll make a post to let guys know how it goes.

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kaibeecee @ Sep 25 2008, 04:09 PM) </div>
    ahh man, i would have to say, no chance.

acusump, $300 landed from about a million u.s mail order places. plus hose/fittings.

dry sump pump.. $700++++ oil tank $300+++ fitting the pump and pulley system $250 mininum.. build new sump, $100 min..

and then you have at least 8 times the amount of hose ends, and probably 5 times the amount of -10 hose.

man if you could build a dry sump system, from even 2nd hand parts, for less than $1000, id have one. but theres no real way, unless you wanna run some rigged up modified power steering pump set up (which people do do).. but anything rigged up concerning the oil system is just fail in my book.

having said all that, the acusump doesnt do anything near what a dry sump can do for you, but in the case of intermittent oil starvation issues.. its seems to be well regarded, cheap insurance, so could be just the ticket for the topic starter..

78's

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast