Thread: Tailshaft, little help?

Name
    Matt
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I have hit a brick wall.

Been doing a 4AGE conversion in my KE70 pannel van with a T50 box. Now the engine and box are in, but when I went to bolt up the tail shaft, the length is correct HOWEVER, the "stud hole patterns" of the tail shaft end (im using an AE71 tailshaft) and the stud holes on the diff center dont line up.

I was lead to believe an AE71 tailshaft would bolt up directly to the KE diff?

Is it possible that because its a pannelvan, it uses a different diff?

What are my options? The Original KE tailshaft obviously bolts to the diff, but wont line up with the spline on the T50, so thats out of the question. Will I have to get my tailshaft modified? Or will I be able to bolt an S series center into me KE diff?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Matt.

KE diffs are borgwarner type and s series diffs are salisbury type so the centres aren't interchangeable. chuck up a pic of your current diff, the original tailshaft and your new AE71 item.
    And yes the AE71 diff is identical to a KE70 so you either have a different diff in your panelvan or you've been sold an AE86 tailshaft which would have the s series diff bolt pattern on it.

Hope that helps

Dillon

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

If you don't want any headfucks, just get the flanges on the end of the tailshafts swapped over. Any tailshaft / driveline place will be able to press the uni's off and swap it over for you.
    You can have any brew you want... as long as it's a Datsun / Corolla / What is that?

Name
    Matt
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I ended up just getting the last peice of the tail shaft swapped over, like you have said Javal, good and cheap too. Knox drive shafts, cheap and efficient.

Anyway, KE kid. I definatly have an AE71 tailshaft (two of them infact) and they are going to the diff that im 99% sure is the factory KE pannelvan diff. So I think the pannelvans must come with a deffernt diff in them compared to the sedans.

I think I read a post elsewhere (possibly by starni boy) that the pannelvan uses some form of S-series or S-series centered, leaf sprung diff? Wouldnt mind having that clarified if anyone knows?

Thanks for your help guys.

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

KE70 Sedan, Wagon: Borg-Warner

AE71 Sedan, Wagon: Borg-Warner

KE70 Panel Van: S-series

AE71 Panel Van: S-series

TE72 Hatchback: T-series (ADM)

Australian Domestic Market (herein referred to as 'ADM') AE86 Sprinter: S-series

Japanese Domestic Market (herein referred to as 'JDM') AE86 Sprinter (Kouki): T-Series (Kouki)

Japanese Domestic Market (herein referred to as 'JDM') AE86 Sprinter (Zenki): T-Series (Zenki)

Straight from the FAQ. However i'm still not sold on the KE70 panel van having an S-Series until i stick my head under one, even though i wrote that section of the FAQ . Care to take a photo for me?
    You can have any brew you want... as long as it's a Datsun / Corolla / What is that?

Name
    Matt
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Javal @ Oct 2 2008, 09:22 AM) </div>Thanks for that. Now im convinced, having heard it from two seperate parties that its leaf sprung S series.

I will take a photo once its clean, at the moment you wouldnt be able to see it haha. I can tell you though that it does have 8 stud holes and looks just like an S-series center.

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

On the front or back of the diff?

As in can you remove the entire nose of the diff or does it have an inspection plate on the back?

If you can remove the diff nose (8 bolts on the front of the housing) then it is 100% for sure an S-series

If the bolts are on the back for an inspection plate, then it's some kind of weird borg-warner.

However i'm 99% sure it's an S series, this will just be the final confirmation.

Name
    Clint
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Javal @ Oct 2 2008, 11:24 AM) </div>It's an S series. No inspection plate on the back and has 8 bolts on the front of the housing.

Name
    alex
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

want to sell your other ae71 tailshaft?

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (starni_boy @ Oct 2 2008, 01:21 PM) </div>Cheers clint, the FAQ stays as is then

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast