Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stock ECU adapter. DIY USB Tuning on the fly. (Concept)

Name
    Nathan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default Stock ECU adapter. DIY USB Tuning on the fly. (Concept)

just had an idea need one of these

Then design a circuit with the IC linked up to the ECU, so the unit will basically have all male ports for ecu and all female ports, so basically all signals will pass through it to the ECU. (plus a few other wires to other places) The unit will also have a USB port which will provide IO to a laptop running this app:

That's just a starting point but there could be many more adjustable items.

The unit will have to consist of a custom designed PCB by me, the IC in the first link, a few relays, digital potentiometers and digital rheostats to modify sensor outputs, triggers etc at any linear/non-linear fashion according the the tuning in the custom program, in turn tuning the Engine/ECU. This will hopefully eliminate any need to reflash ecu at expensive prices or even getting an aftermarket one. Total cost to estimate should be around $200 per unit. The app will be free, so you should be able to retune yourself at any time you want.

From this stage with a little more work it can well lead to eliminating the stock ECU all together.

Just a thought, what do you think? I also have ideas of creating an iPad/iPhone app to do the same thing instead of using a windows laptop. iPhone will need some different sort of connectivity to the unit, thinking web or iOS app that connects via Bluetooth or WiFi to the device instead of USB.

I need a sponsor because I'm broke as shit and need to get my car running first, but again as the title states, this is only a concept and IMO I think it is feasible. What do you guys think?
    BuildAE86\Pix..............SaleParts\SR20 N14
    wtb\smallport 421 headers.

Name
    Nathan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

forgot to add, this thing should be able to tuned while its running without flashing the unit, after unplugging usb it will use whatever setting you had setup last, it will be able to save and load profiles etc. forgot to add oxy sensor, but you get the point.

if you want to download the above app. Virus free. Promise. It will support big/smallport 16v and silver/blacktop 20v 4age's

Nathan

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Cool idea but from what you've posted, you don't know enough about engine tuning/management to pull it off, yet. You'll probably pick it up quick enough.

You need 3D tables and not 2D adjustments like your AFR adj. Where(what RPM) are you even altering the AFR at? and altering it via changing AFM/MAP voltage up or down or by controlling the ECU injector output? If you are controlling injector output then it becomes a fuel only ECU that you can map out in milliseconds and not a funny +x% here and -y% there thing like e-manage. It works but I dunno, I find it total backwards when you can get a PLUG-IN megasquirt for like 450USD. Yeah, there are uses for E-manage when you need it like auto trans. cars.

If you control ECU MAP in, then you're changing where you are on the ignition map as well which you need to alter even more to get it where you want it. Crazy SAFC-II's.

There's some stuff to think about.

Oh and tuning off ipod touch/iphone is crazy. Screens too small to nav and control stuff. Would be cool for plug-in display.

Name
    Anthony
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

The app didn't work. Are you sure its not a virus? (Is it x64 friendly?)

Yeah unfortunately there's a fair bit more to it than dragging some groupBox's on to a windows form and buying a PIC. A whole lot more.... I'd suggest a couple of books, but they're all Atmel

Name
    Nathan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

nah its not lol.. on my home PC doesn't work either its x64 haha maybe not friendly.. oh well.. you get the point

I've done a lot of electronics and designing and making printed circuit boards, schematics etc and computer programming since i was like 10yo so i think I'll be right there and i know how to program and flash PICBASIC, I've done IO through parallel and serial ports before just not USB. That is the easy part to be honest I just don't really know enough about the logic behind the ECU it would be cool if i could see they're schematics and source codes or something that shows in detail the logic of the ECU and how it works. Yeah maybe there is some books out there that will explain it.. do you recommend anything specifically?

Name
    Anthony
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

the app looks good btw? i assume it's .net? vb??

I'd suggest working in C rather than picBasic. Not sure what pic tools there are out there for C but I assume there are many.

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Hey! I have PICBASIC too. Can them 4550's do floating point?

Google megamanual and look at a bunch of stuff there, then google msextra manual and look through all that too. There's enough there to build yourself an ecu, if you can be bothered reading through it all. The source code is in the megamanual but it's in C. I'm trying to learn C half-heartedly as I want to make a few changes to ms code.

App doesn't work on xp sp3.

Name
    Nathan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Yeah its vb.net 2010 I probably should of changed the compile settings to make it more compatible but i only mocked that up in like 20-30 mins. yeah i know PHP, Javascript and VB/BASIC but haven't done much C

floating point... i assume so lol.. it might not be the exact PIC i have to use, just stumbled across it
    PIC18F2455/2550/4455/4550 Datasheet:

Name
    Nathan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

yes it does support:
    • Support for the entire dsPIC30F instruction set
    • Support for fixed-point and floating-point data