Thread: anyone with an engine building/racing background discuss here

Name
    Mathew
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default anyone with an engine building/racing background discuss here

ok all this is what i have been thinking about for the past week i suggested it to my boss and he laughed but here it goes titanium gudgeon pins now i know you can get tooled steel but making a 20mm solid pin from good old titanium i would think be a great idea getting rid of useless reciprocating mass and could lighten up a bottomend a fair amount

so my question is to you sam and you toxin and others out there what do you think, it was just a thought but it might be something worth looking into or even trying on a shit stock motor that you don't mind killing

sorry if you mods think its in the wrong section if it is can you move it to a more suitable section

cheers
    mat
    the dyno pull to 300rwkw

BT20v is making 300rwkw like i said i would without nitrous so now its time for some spray and see if she will run a 10s or less

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

ok firstly you have to know I talk big and know random bits of theory here and there but I am really far from an expert. The little I know is that they are prone to galling however they are available off the shelf. Also there are pins that are still steel but of a much lighter design also available off the shelf. Losing weight in this area is an excellent idea. Frak and Assassin would be the real experts on here I would think
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.

Name
    Marco
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Food for thought, pauter make an optional titanium rod available in their range. 4ag rods are in the range, specify titanium and hand over a lot of money.
    Big up's for the North East Massiv'
    NSATB - New Skids Around The Block

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

also, and i dont know if this is relevant, but titanium is a VERY soft and stretchy metal. Its surface is VERY tuff, but the metal itself is very flexible and soft. this may be a reason its not a great idea? Ive heard of hollowed steel being used to great effect though....
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

Name
    Andrew
    State
    California
    Country
    USA

Depends on the alloy.

Sure titanium is light, and stronger on a weight to strength basis. But it can also fail a lot quicker with repetitive stresses. It also galls/siezes. IIRC. I don't remember how it responds to fatigue though.

A good lightweight chromoly pin & titanium alloy rods would be the way to go.

Andrew
    Last edited by assassin10000; 29th June 2011 at 09:17 PM.

Name
    B-unit
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

I wouldnt bother making your own... As assassin said get chromoly pins.

Theoretically a solid pin would expand more, putting more friction and heat into the surface. Hollow will transfer heat more effectively. < just thoughts.

Before worrying about pins I'd chose the best and lightest crank I could, good pistons and rings with a anti friction coating etc, then decent rods. Usually more to be gained here

Name
    Sam
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

while we are on topic of thing's like this, has anyone ever used anodized rocker arm's ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Danzo View Post
    nah I cbf with NS, its full of timewasting jewlords

Name
    Mathew
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

yes i know of pauter's rods the x beam design is very intriguing and yeah i have email'd them and for $2500 im not sure i would front the cash id rather a set of alloy rods for around the $800 mark

do you know the company who makes them i do know wiseco make a lightened pin and its very cheap but i thought id look around

yeah i have heard of this but imo if you can make a con rod from titanium why not a pin?

my little amount of research has found that titanium fatigues from contaminated oil and such as titanium rods are coated in something to stop that contamination i cant remember the coating but i can find it out

really would like to know of company's who make light pins anyone know of any??

cheers
    mat
    the dyno pull to 300rwkw

BT20v is making 300rwkw like i said i would without nitrous so now its time for some spray and see if she will run a 10s or less

Name
    Mathew
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

this is way off topic but i use them at work all the time many different brands and ratios seem to all work well but this isn't the thread for that
    the dyno pull to 300rwkw

Name
    B-unit
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

rods and pins have different material requirements. Pins have greater surface temps for one. Not saying you ccant use titanium for pins. Do you have specs on the titanium you want to use?

On the subject of anodized rocker arms (sorry for continuing ot) are we talking rollers? If so I've seen heaps of failed ones, they usually have a big roller bearing but little material around it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast