Thread: learner rmotards?

Name
    Simon
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Australia

Default learner rmotards?

Shoot me some recomendations. it's going to be my first bike in about 10yrs power isnt a factor, and road bikes and me don't mix for many reasons.

The majority of my riding will be inner city commumting, something with fairly low stand over height as I have ducks disease. I wanna spend about $5k max including gear so I'm gussing around 3.5-4k for bike only. Also something that is cheap/easy to repair for those time's I lay it down.

Cheer's

Simon

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

xr250
    kdx220
    rmx250
    wheelfriends.wordpress.com

Name
    Peter
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

How tall are you man?

Did you wanna buy something that actually has motard rims on it or you just going to put road tyre's on the standard rims?
    Don't know if you know but there's a lot to look at when putting a dirt bike on the road if you wanna stop in an emergency or grip in the wet.

My preference would be a WR250F it has a higher seat approx 900mm off the ground but with motard rims being only 17" the front loses 2 inches and the back loses 1 inch.
    I'm 175cm tall and I ride mine easily at full normal seat height.

I think XR, KDX, KLX, TTR, RMX don't have enough power for the road especially if you run smaller sprockets.
    My Project Thread! KE70 4AGTE Build & Respray
    http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...ead.php?t=2294

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

have ridden all of them, rmx250 would leave a wr250 for dead dude, also wr gets gear box and clutch problems when streeted. Also their starting mechanisms give up with daily use.

I think the wr doesnt have enough torque with smaller sprockets and becomes finiky at lower rpm low speed stuff.

Name
    Andrew
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I put over 5000km on a 2004 wr250f in the bush. Wide throttle openings, high rpm 90% of the time..... Never needed valve adjustments (checked every 1000km), no starter issues and low end torque is fine. The later models are much stronger in the bottom end of the rev range too.

However, on the street, I probably wouldn't run one. They are maintenance happy (i changed the oil every 200-300km and the filter every 300-400km. Gearbox issues, if any would probably be resolved by adding a cush drive rear hub. Who wants to risk it though? They are a race bike.

RMX250? Great bike, in the bush. They vibrate heaps, chug fuel like a '75 caddy and are very hard to get the idle correct on (carby idle and slow circuits are shared). They also foul plugs with consistancy that you can set your watch by. A mate of mine used to carry 3 spares on long bush rides.
    Pre-mixing fuel at every fill-up is annoying and kick starting can be too. Not all models are ADR approved and they are getting old.

Xr250, klx250, ttr250 are cheap, reliable and reasonable off road. If you are allowed to run up to 660cc (as we are now in Vic) try a drz400 (sweet bike) or a dr650.

I have a yz250f for bush duties and an xr650r for road/bush. I don't mind kick starting.
    Last edited by af300e; 26th May 2009 at 05:20 PM.

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

yeah drz400 is a good streeter/bush

i ride a cr250 07 model, i cant ride 4 strokes, something about them, no snap or too much snap too early.

youll struggle to get a wr250 for the money he wants to spend anyways, and most would have had a hard life by now if he could find one.

i had an rmx250 for a while, i manage to fix the idle and it never fowled plugs, just had to rejet it which is an hours job. Hell i had to rejet my cr after my first ride, havnt, touched it since.
    Electric start is overrated.

Name
    Peter
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I've had my WR since new fully road registered in 05 and done 6400km's and its first 4000km's of its life had a fair bit of on road riding including commuting to work everyday 30km's.
    Even if the starter does give up which mine never has its got a kick to back it up. XR's, rm's dont even have lecco start.
    I also have never needed valve adjustments, had problems with the gearbox or clutch its been the most reliable bike I've had.
    I've still got the original clutch for that matter with over 6400km's!

You say an rmx250 will leave a wr250 for dead do you mean a wr250 2 stroke or the wr250f 4 stroke because I'm talking about the 4 stroke. The wr250f stock is restricted but with a better pipe, filter and all the free mods they fly.

Name
    Peter
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

True about the price but bargains for WR's pop up depends how long u wanna wait.

I love my electric start people say its overrated but wats worse than being stuck on a slippery muddy hill and trying to hold the bike up and kick start at the same time.

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

a mate has had a wr250f for a while, i had an rmx for a while,
    he had different pipe and stuff, my bike left his for dead.

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

thats half the fun

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast