Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: >>HHO Generators for your car? hybrid sprinter give me your thoughts

Name
    Vlad
    State
    Sacred Valley
    Country
    Peru

They reckon the diesel burns more efficiently, PLUS the LPG burns and gives extra power. I think the HHO gas does the same.

Unfortunately with Govt regulations etc the cost of installing LPG into diesel utes runs into the thousands of dollars, so payback time is forever! At least you can knock up an HHO system for buggerall.

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I can understand the whole concept of letting everything burn better so in potential you get a disproportionate amount of energy back however would a tiny trickle or hydrogen really do that? no matter how good it was it's still only feeding a minicule amount of gas in there compared to air.
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.

Name
    Anthony
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Greeneyes - I see in that example 107 litres of diesel turned into 75 litres of diesel and 28 litres of LPG. Rough substitution of 25-30% which is what I said above and what we see on obs usually. Go from propane (LPG) to methane (Natural Gas) and you can up that to 50% or more. Also, seeing as this guy saved $20 on 1000kms this would be $400 a year to the average consumer (20,000km). Not really a good enough return. Thankfully some of the engines I've done have saved their owners $150k in a year, that gets their attention.

Anyway back on topic, the problem is in the diesel/lpg example planet Earth has done the work for you to turn trees into the flammable gas. When you have to do the work locally, splitting water into hydrogen from your cars alternator, it just doesn't add up.

Name
    Vlad
    State
    Sacred Valley
    Country
    Peru

Sam I don't know how it does it, hopefully Aezion can get some good measurements before and after fitting a unit. petrol motors have a lot of room for improvement, just look at the last 50years, so maybe free hydrogen pushes the burn efficiency up.

Anthony I assume their idea that diesel plus LPG burns much cleaner & so you don't get soot everywhere means that you are getting more diesel burnt instead of dumping it out as carbon. The killer is the return time, but if the conversion only cost $800 that would look a lot better. A mate is pulling an LPG unit out of his petrol Dyna and I was thinking of fitting it to a diesel Landcruiser, but then he told me what I'd have to do to make it legal and the project died...

If it was going to cost me $3000 plus engineers and paperwork to fit twin SUs a cam and an exhaust to the Rolla I wouldn't have done that either!

Name
    Anthony
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yep, that's true. A lot of the engines we've done have had full oil analysis before and after gas systems going on (some of the engines are very expensive and nothing is left to chance). There is no doubt the oil is cleaner and the engine suffers less carbon buildup, thanks to a cleaner burn process, but these are secondary benefits to the main goal of substituting a cheaper fuel. Typical installation on a passenger vehicle costs between 4k and 5k with a decent system, of which you get 1500 to 2500 back depending on state incentives. there are diesel/gas systems for as low as $2500, but I wouldn't use one.

Name
    Sam
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

from what i have read on some forums in the states the hydrogen booster dosent realy make that much difference if you go drawing more than 20-25ams, creating too much load on the engine and like what anthony said, its just a circle and there is no point. but with a little bit of load and the hydrogen and oxygen acting as something of a octane booster, burns cleaner more efficient ect and obviously the hydrogen providing more fuel and the added oxygen there to aid in the reaction, and from what some stuff has suggested the hydrogen burns creating water again and cause its hot it becomes steam and expands giving more push how true that last bit is i dont know but sounds good in theory............ anywhore extra power from that + the cleaning of the combustion chamber, intake tract, valves ect meaning same power with less fuel injected and better fuel economy............ in theory hahaha, there must be a equilibrium point where any more hydrogen and oxygen added to the engine will not increase fuel efficency due to more electrical load on engine/alternator.

also as stated somewhere above once it is installed you want it to work better so you may drive a bit softer without noticing, also helping increase fuel economy, hopefully i wont do this hahah. all this talk is getting me keen to build mine and give it a crack

Name
    Seb
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

hi everybody!,

Wow. Way more responses then I had originally anticipated, really.

My 86 wants to hibernate at the moment so getting materials has been some what frustrating, but l've almost got everything I need to build my generator.

* 2x 6volt batteries
    * 25-30 amp wire 4metre
    * 30amp inline fuse
    * 4mm marine wire
    * 2x 80mm m6 hex bolts, washers & nuts
    * 2x Stainless steel plates

just need my housing and then we can start posting results and videos.

keep you guys posted!
    Seb

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2