Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How Do I Install My Cd player/ Head unit into my KE70?????

Name
    Lach
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default How Do I Install My Cd player/ Head unit into my KE70?????

So ive done 2 car head units already in a honda accord and in some shitty holden for a mate but they were basically, out with the old, in with the new and then re-wire.
    but the KE70 is different cause it has its original radio with the knobs and shit and then two shelves near the gear stick
    one is covered and one is empty. The cover comes off though.
    ive cut holes in the rear for some 6x9's and thats all the speakers im going to have and i bought a little cheap Sony GTX-180 headunit for $80

my questions are:
    Where does the head unit go?

DO i just pull the wires from the original radio and go from there?

How does the head unit bolt in?

Anyone done it before? Im not paying for some schmutter at Strathfield to do it, Just need some help so i can have the confidence to start doing it.
    Wah Bah Ki?

Name
    Lach
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

im illiterate so pictures would help too
    Wah Bah Ki?

Name
    Chris
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

for mounting use the bottom box, cut a hole, make it nice. for wiring if you've already wired headunit it'll be pretty simple for you, either run new wires for the speakers or just run the crummy old wires off the old head unit,you'll need memory( constant power) a good earth( you can either wire into the old head unit earth or tap an i terminal off the bottow box bracket, then just a wire for acc and you're set

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Multi metre or test lamp is your friend. Very easy job wiring wise...

Name
    Dave
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I put one in mine a month or so ago, I'd recommend starting from scratch. get rid of all the old wiring and just do it from scratch. You should of got a wiring diagram with your headset that explains what wire goes where on the harness. I ran a wire straight from the battery with a fuse in it to the power, then found a spare wire under the dash that got power with accessories turned on using a test light and connected the accessories. found a solid ground using the test light and the constant power wire I had coming from the battery. Then it was just a case of wiring up the speakers.

At first I thought my headset was stuffed however because for some reason my headset doesn't switch on without the aerial connected up on my cheapo JVC head unit.

As for mounting the headset itself. Mine is a bit dodgy, I just cut up the where the old tape deck mounted, and squeezed it in there. fits pretty firm though.

Name
    Brett
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

from the wires that plug into the head unit, yellow-battery, red-accesories, black-earth, then the wires that are the same colour are for the speakers, just trial and error until u get the rear left and right wires. i would run new wires, its hella cheap from auto barns. and to mount it just make brackets and screw it in

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Handy trick i learnt years ago for locating speaker wires was to get a 9v battery and touch the speaker wires on the +v and -v terminals and you will hear an audible pop from the speaker.

Name
    Dylan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

i agree with lildavo, new wires are they way to go so then you know that if it doesnt work the wiring isnt the problem,
    i installed a head unit a 4 speakers in my ksev a couple of months ago and it is pretty simple.
    all i did was ran 2 new wires from the battery to the head unit (cut a small hole in the rubber boot where the wiring loom goes through) , then just have to find an accesories wire, (this is easier if you have a test light or multi meter) but if not from memory the purple wire from the stock unit is for accesories, so just wire it up to that. or if you cannot find accesories wire a sencond opiton is to wire the accesories up to a switch, BUT! make sure you turn it off when you get out of the car or your battery will not like you.
    then for the speakers will have to run new wires for the rear, and to the front, again new wire it the way to go. to find out what wires are for what speakers just google the brand of the head unit and the colours are all usually the same.

as for the mounting of the unit i put mine in the gap at the bottom which is just waisted space by toyota. to mount it i just bent the brackets that were on the unit and screwed it into the bottom, the center bit is easy to remove (4 skrews) so is alot easier to position and mount while it is out of the car.

hope this helps
    Last edited by Dilsy; 14th September 2011 at 12:21 PM.

Name
    Jacob
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I don't understand why people do this? It's not hard to find something that can be used as acc, it actually takes less time than wiring a switch and mounting it.

Name
    Dylan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

yeh but people are lazy, id rather put the effort in and find an accessories wire, alot less effort in the long run remembering to turn the switch off every time!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast