Thread: Suspension - Any one Help me cut My front springs and replace my rear springs???

Name
    Lach
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default Suspension - Any one Help me cut My front springs and replace my rear springs???

Ive got a solid set of rear springs which are fairly stiff that I think are already cut, I just need help putting them in and then cutting my fronts to height. I really have no idea how or what to do in this situation.
    Will pay in beer or alcoholic beverages or just money hahah
    let me know or post on how to do it?????
    Pictures and a step by step would be amazing
    thanks guys
    Wah Bah Ki?

Name
    Dylan
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

My best advice would be to read the manual first, shows you step by step.

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

If the rear springs are short enough and you have standard length shocks on the rears, just by jacking up the rear the diff will sag down and just pull out the springs, if you find the springs are still to long and the diff does not sag enough, then un-do the nuts holding the shocks located in the boot of the car, pretty straight forward here.

Cutting the front springs can be done while the springs are still on the car, fastest way and most dangerous way, you don't need to take anything out, but is hella dangerous and I have done it this way before though was lucky nothing happened during the process lol..

Best thing would be to just buy some lowered springs and just install them, safer because they sit and fit like standard and you can choose your own spring rate and are dirt cheap already brand new
    dose

Name
    Lach
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I kinda forgot to mention I have a KE70 if that changes anything......
    Wah Bah Ki?

Name
    kyle
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

just get your brother to do it lol

Name
    Alex
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

If you don't want to cut the springs while they are in the car: (I'd advise not cutting them in the first place)

Front:
    - Jack car up (USE STANDS!!)
    - Remove the 2 x 14mm bolts that hold the base of the strut to steering arm/ball joint.
    - Undo 3 x 12mm nuts that hold strut top in strut tower.
    - Place long bar/pole between caster rod and LCA mount as a lever to help remove strut assembly from car. (Bar goes on top of caster rod and under LCA mount, push down...)
    - Use spring compressors to compress spring (Or don't and aim strut away from people/glass)
    - Use rattle gun to remove single 17mm nut from top shock (If no rattle gun use multigrips to stop shock turning. MAKE SURE you have a rag/rubber between multigrips and strut so not to score shaft)
    - With nut undone, strut assembly will be able to be separated into strut top, upper hat, and spring.
    - Cut springs to desired length.
    - Reassemble strut in reverse order and refit to car. (Won't need to use spring compressors when reassembling strut as they wont be captive anymore)

Rear:
    - Undo nuts on shocks from inside the boot.
    - Lever diff/axle down to free captive spring.
    - Cut spring to desired length/Insert new springs.
    - Reverse process to finish.
    4K > 5K > Worked 5K > 4AGE > 146RWKW 4AGTE > 210KW SR
    Alex's 4AGTE KE70
    Rest In Peace Old Faithful Corolla-Taken Too Soon 2006-2013...
    Or so was thought...
    Now with a new lease on life will be back bigger and better!

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

AS 'Blinded' said....

But, I wouldnt cut the standard front springs, for a few reasons. Dangerous if you dont know what you are doing, poor handling, bogan spec, etc etc..... You can pick up second hand ones pretty cheap these days, or can buy them new.

Now, no one has mentioned why it is dangerous cutting the springs while still on the car, or even just not compressed with spring compressors. I thought I might mention this, because obviously you have little understanding of basic physics since you cant work out how to fit the rear springs. When the standard springs are located on the strut, they are under some compression (more or less depending on the type of car). If you just go ahead with your angle grinder and start cutting, there will become a point where the spring will seperate into 2 pieces, then unleashing the compressed forces it had. This can result in part of the spring violently (instant) springing off in a direction. If your hand/body part happens to be in it's path, BAM! It can tear straight through ya.

I am not saying this will happen every time, but no doubt it can happen. Really not worth it just to have a shit handling car anyway..

You will have to get a wheel alignment too.....

Name
    Dylan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

yeh it is 'dangerous' if you dont know what your doing, but as long as you do have the springs compressed when you cut them.
    as for handling i think that they dont handle to bad (for how much it costs - nothing) some people dont want to spend more money than they did on the car it self on new suspension haha

Name
    Lach
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

or you could do it for me kyle
    Wah Bah Ki?