Name
    Nam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Default Coil packs

Hey guys!

So can anyone identify these Coil Packs?

Car - AE86

motor / part in question - 7AGE 20v Silvertop with Wolf 3D ECU

problem - possibly Coil Packs playing up

So i drove my car to my friends place and it was fine...then after 15 or so minutes from being there we left to head to work and my car just cut out at the round about. I was able to pull over safely and then tried to start the car up again. At first it didnt want to start but after a few goes it started up. I rev'ed it up to around 2-2500rpm to keep the car going but after a few seconds the car just automatically cut out again and turned off. I tried turning the car on again and it would try to start but no luck.

When i turn the key to start you can hear the car cranking but my revs werent moving up at all. From my hand controller it says 0rpm when i try starting the car. We ended up pushing the car back to my friends place to see what we could do. We tested the spark plugs and there was no signs of any spark for the first spark (and i think the 2nd and 4th). Luckily i had my old set of sparks in the boot and we tested them. I was getting sparks from them so i put them in. Only one of them wasnt sparking so i thought id leave it for the night and get some new sparks. With the old spark plugs my sounded like it wanted to start and my revs were moving again.

Today i got four new sparks and put them in. No luck...car didnt want to start. We quickly tested the first spark and strangely enough there was no spark. We tested the old ones which were working yesterday and again no spark. We didnt have time to test all the sparks.

Im not too sure what the problem is here. My leads arent old or anything (roughly got them new year and a half or so) and i now have new spark plugs. Could i have a faulty coil pack? is there a way i can test the coil packs? im not 100% sure where my coil packs are from...if anyone has a clue where they are from then i may try getting a new one and see if that works.

Any one have any ideas or had the same problem?

The last few weeks i was having an issue with my car cutting out after i turned it on. But if i was able to drive one block without it cutting out then i would run fine. For the last week my car was running fine but just yesterday all this happened. Maybe the Coil Packs have finally given up? or maybe another issue...

Cheers
    Nam

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

if you are showing 0 rpm during cranking then your crank angle sensor is the problem

also just a bit of an educted guess but those look like hyundai coils
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.