Thread: Adaptronic 4AGE 20v coolant correction

Name
    Derek
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Default Adaptronic 4AGE 20v coolant correction

I've got a very strange problem with my 20v that I cannot work out cos I just don't know enough about the Adaptronic...

I used the base tune file supplied by Adaptronic which ran the car awesome... but I discovered in the process that my temp sensor was dead.
    After I fitted a working one I've had no end of dramas trying to get the thing to start. Suddenly the timing was way out.
    So much so that after cranking and getting it to fire - the crank will go backwards...

I can usually get it started by changing the ignition timing when cranking... but it seems so random I actually had to move my trigger points the other day and advanced it by 15deg!

The problem I get is that after I do this... and it runs/starts great... Once it cools off it won't start again! And the process must start again.
    I've looked in all the coolant trim areas and nothing makes jumps out at me as being wrong - but I don't really know what I'm looking at.

I've got a Adaptronic running another 4AGE (16v, but with quads) and never have an issue... I've compared the two to look for any major differences and even loaded the 16v's .ecu into the 20v and adjusted the triggering points to suit and still gives me the same problems.

I'm just pulling my hair out (which I have precious little) as to why it won't work correctly...
    I don't know if its a faulty CAS, my VVT gear is messing something up or what... It's extremely frustrating not knowing enough.

Does anyone have a known working 4AGE 20v tune that I compare to see if theres anything else I'm missing?

Name
    Anthony
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

So if it only started when you replaced the coolant temp sensor, have you tried unplugging the new sensor to see if it goes back to working happily?

Name
    Derek
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I haven't yet. As I'd prefer to have a temp reading in there... and it looks to be operating correctly. But if I can't get something sorted I'll have to.

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

ant will correct me if im wrong. but that coolant temp sensor is farily common? i think its the same as 4afe/7afe?
    78's

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

also, is the sender for the guage next to the actual temp sensor in your water set up? i have accidently plugged those in wrong way around on a 16v (with stock ecu) and it did some wack shit..
    78's

Name
    Anthony
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yeah I don't mean disconnect it and just learn to live like that, I mean unplug it and compare to establish that this is definitely the basis of the problem. I assume the original sensor went open circuit when it failed? If this happens the adaptronic defaults to a temp reading of 27 deg for safety.

Either there is a wiring problem which a connected ECT sensor is making worse, or there are settings which have been put in to get around the missing sensor, which are not at all workable with it in place (I cant think of any settings that could cause that much trouble though ). The best thing to do would be to take a datalog with your laptop, then while it's logging connect and disconnect the ECT sensor so the log trace shows the story. Also, there is a function up in the drop down menus called calculation trace. If you looked at the ignition timing calc trace while you did the above it should also be fairly clear which setting is causing the trouble, if any.

Name
    Derek
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yeah with the dead sensor it was just stuck on 27deg... I grabbed another from the wreckers and it gives believable readings.
    I'll get a datalog of it this afternoon after work.

Name
    Anthony
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yeah its really important to nail down that this is the cause. It's so easy to prove, why not double check? Just in case something else was bumped during installation or something and now you waste diagnosis effort because you're convinced it's that sensor.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I think the sensor is a red herring, its just unlucky timing that this issue has surfaced now.

I sent you an email mate.