Thread: ecu's

Name
    Brendan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Default ecu's

hi guys, im looking into buying a new ecu as my adaptrnic has fried on me 3 tmes now and im over it

what do you guys recommend???

im thinking possibly a motec M4

i dont want a new ecu but if the adaptronics keep doing this i cant aford to keep using them

discuss pros/cons
    MY JZX83 (clicky)
    My Beams Powered AE86 SOLD (clicky)

Quote Originally Posted by destroyer View Post
    Too bad im in the same town as dr1ft-p1g im pretty sure his mx83 is the coolest.

Name
    Amulday
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

A cheaper alternative to the Motec is the Autronics. A few mates had them in their evo III's with good results, both the motec and autronic are probably overkill when there are guys getting the numbers and reliability with wolf 3d/haltechs ect...

I personally had a Wolf 3d V4 with handcontroller for the VR4 and many other guys ran them without a hitch. The only issue now is that Wolf have moved onto the V500 and aren't really supporting the V4 anymore.

amulday.sam
    HR ARMY
    RED BEAR

Name
    Ryan
    State
    qld
    Country
    Aust.

rewire the adaptronic?

by changing ECU's, just because its shorting out is pretty wack logic, especially one that is otherwise running your motor fine?
    Last edited by seek; 1st January 2009 at 12:35 PM.

Name
    Novak
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

heard many good things of the EMS stinger ecu. I am actually gettin one installed on my car soon-soon.

Motec would be way overkill for most people, unless you are into tunning every minute thing and paying through the nose for it.

Id stay away from wolf3d, tunners nightmare apparently, many places refuse to tune over here in perth.

Also if your frying ECU's, maybe there is a wiring/fuse issue in your car rather than the ECU being a problem, prolly a good idea to get that checked out before you fry another one.

**EDIT** seek beat me too it. Get a tuner/auto lecky to check it out and find the fault hey. Save you money in the long run
    --- All your base are belong to Phil Bradshaw!!! ---
    `
    <<< blog >>> build thread<<<

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

damn straight.....

i dont hear of anyone else having blown up 3 adaptronic ecus?

pluss.....how many "what ecu is the best" threads do we need.....

and also....a new ecu wont stop wiring faults killing it

Name
    Jamie
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I've had Autronic ecu's (SM2's) on my cars for about 18 years! They have always been incredibly reliable, infact I still own and use an SM2 I got back in around 1990!

The original SM2 I have just required processor changes(easy) and loom updates to bring the ecu up to current specs. I originally used this ecu on a peripherally ported 13B in an RX3(around 1990), later I changed the processor and loom so I could run it on an NA 20V, the processor change was to update to multi coils, launch control etc

That's one thing that is good with the SM2 box, Autronic keep upgrading features and all you require is a processor change.

Name
    Kieran
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Yeah re-wiring it sounds like a good thing to look at first

the cheaper reprogrammable ECU's can get decent power figures yes, however the tunabillity (how fine it can be tuned eg. microtech 500rpm) is limited often resulting in poor cold start, jumps up/down in power delivery, poor fuel economy.

Aurtronic is a bit more expencive than others and cheaper than motec but offer a good solid product.

I run a microtech LT10-s on my 4agte, does the job but Im looking to move on to better things

Name
    Brendan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

well ive had the ecu sent up to ant (kaizen garage) twice nd had the whole car up there once... and ant couldnt fnd anything wong with it.. ant wired this engne before it went into my car so all ive wired is the main,fuel pump and fan relays and where its dying is on of the pinouts that run the vvti

im just to the point where if im gonna rewire it im gonna go all out and buy a motec, i dunno why they keep fucking out on me

my idea of it is the ecu cant handle my everyday driving with the vvti constantly turning on and off and causing the 2 diodes to heat up and eventually burn out, may not be that but its all i can think of
    MY JZX83 (clicky)

Too bad im in the same town as dr1ft-p1g im pretty sure his mx83 is the coolest.

Name
    Dean
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I had a similar issue man....i blew up two in a row, one of them was a vvti computer form an s14 and it was the vvti circuit that blew in it first but there was a short in the wiring causing it to blow...so im thinking the vvti section of ecu's are first in the ciruit?

I had dave manning(he is gun with wiring) go through the whole loom and clean it up and dispose of any loose ends its running sweet as now but we never actually found out were the short was becasue the wiring was a mess.

I asume kaizen garage would do a good wiring job though.
    ex-SR20 Stanza and now MX83 Cressida Driver

John 1:12

Name
    Brendan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

yeah im gonna have to send the ecu back to ant and/or pull my loom apart and try find if theres a fault in the wiring somewhere which i highly doubt as ants done a wicked job with the loom ,its very odd for an auxhilary on an ecu switching something as simple as vvti to not be able to handle it but its the only thing i can think of atm, if ant decides to fix or warranty my ecu i think ill be gettin it back and selling it with the loom (no plugs) and buying a motec which ill wire myself and get yager to tune it as he knows his motecs and beams engines
    MY JZX83 (clicky)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast