Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: 4AGE cams......choices, dyno results and discussions!!!

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Blacktop 20vs respond really well to the trd head gaskets
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    ryan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Cheers for your input guys. I understand that the dynamic compression lowers as you go bigger cams. What sort if compression ratio would be optimal for a mild can upgrade? The toda paperwork that came with the cans said they recommend a compression ratio of 11:1:8 for 272 cams.

Have also read read that staggering the cams (bigger intake smaller exhaust) smoothens out the torque curve and widens the power band, is this true? Would it be a good idea to run a 272/264 combo rather then 272/272?

And what sort of compression increase would I see from changing to a Trd 0.8mm head gasket over the cometic 1.0mm?

Name
    ryan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Also would it be better to pull the vacuum signal from the vac nipples on the top of the throttle bodies or from the barbs on the bottom of the techno toy tuning manifold?

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I am pretty sure the throttle blades covers up part if not all of those holes out of the throttles when at idle, could be wrong though as the throttles I have seen have always been covered in gunk
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.

Name
    ryan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

hmmm you might be right, will have a look and report back what i find.

On another note, i saw previously in this thread that frek was recommending running the stock vacuum damper inline to the map sensor. Would it be good to do this even tho i plan on using the techno toy tuning vacuum canister?

and which one of these is the vacuum damper? (taken off a set of ae101 throttle bodies)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15EA0303-2F50-4813-B474-6D9604D21914_zpsqg3koauo.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	31086

Name
    Dylan
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Take the vacuum source from the barbs on the manifold to a vacuum block such as the T3, not sure which one the dampener is, but it may still be noisy (fluctuating signal) you should be able to filter the signal in the ECU settings.

Name
    ryan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

yea thats what i was thinking, will get a stronger vacuum signal from there as well. i wont be tuning the ECU but will make sure i tell the tuner that when i get the car tuned.

has anyone got any info on stagger the cam sizes? does it actually smoothen out the torque curve? and would i get more overall peak torque/power with the 272/272 against the 272/264 combo?

Name
    dylan
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

I am also very interested to know if the "staggered" cam idea works as I have a 16v bigport running on carbs with powercraft 4-2-1 extractors, stock internals at the moment and looking to upgrade cams... was thinking of toda 272, 7.9mm lift cams like you were ryan, but if i can get a better torque curve (better for street use) I would love to do this..
    Have a Look at my ae71 streeter build thread!
    http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...s-Clean-Spirit
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo View Post
    This is like reading the Women's Weekly.

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

kinda long but bare with me, this is my real life experience and why i say keep it closer to stock for the street.

closer to stock cams will be better suited for street then such cams of the likes 272. as mentioned already larger cams, bigger cams, whatever you want to call it, its nature is that is will shift power and torque to later rev range, meaning power at top end, sucks for the street until you hit the sweet spot which then it starts going.

random night drive with another fellow AE86 owner. His 16v is possibly the best one going on the street no doubt so far, has all the work inside out. me on the other hand, even though my 16v was a JDM bigport, im going to say it was stock internally and pretty sure it was, but with the right combination of stuff to get the engine revving harder then stock, light flywheel, better diff ratio etc.

around the touge you can really see where both cars had pros and cons considering both of us i believe had similar driving style, we weren't being shy that night. anyway the only time his car pulled away was when there was a long enough straight for him to go past 5000rpm im guessing, but anything before 5000 rpm even on the straight road i would actually be gaining distance on him, but then VTEC kicks in and i watch him pull away, but by that time the next corner had come up and i would be sitting on his rear bar again. On short note, he couldnt use his power to an advantage on the street. On a track i wouldn't be able to keep up no doubt, his car is so much better on paper i wouldn't expect anything less, but on the street where being on the absolute limit is nearly impossible. Near stock has its own advantage big time.

ive also driven a mild toda spec 16v 4age, toda pistons, toda flywheel, toda cams (264/272 if i remember correctly), toda ECU. it went hard but only after 5000rpm. down low it was ok for street driving, but put your foot down, dont expect it to pull like a stocker, but when it comes on song, its worth the wait
    dose

Name
    Jacob
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Who drives a 4a under 5k hahah

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast