Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: 4AGE cams......choices, dyno results and discussions!!!

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

- Small port
    - stock bottom end
    - tidied head
    - TRD 0.8mm hg
    - lightly shaved head
    - 11.?:1 compression ratio
    - TRD 272 cams 7.5mm, in & out. Ex. max lift set at 98° BTDC. In. max lift set at 100° ATDC.
    - T3 adjustable cam gears

A lot of fun, just need more rpm! Dialed in they are very lumpy and getting the engine to idle is a pretty hard. That said, once driving there are no issues and the car pulls strong, all the way to 7800rpm. I have wound them back a few times with good results for normal driving but obviously you substitute power for economy. They really need an after-market ecu to utilise all their potential and that will be my next step. So when people say you can't run 272 cams on a stock ecu all they mean is it's the upper most limit, still doable but you sacrifice a few things in the name of it all.

Name
    Bren
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

It's a bit of an old thread, but saves making a new one.

I have a bigport 16 valve, that as far as I am aware is pretty standard internally. Apparently has had some porting done in the head, but this is not confirmed as I haven't taken manifold off/pulled cam covers off etc yet. I want to get some big duration cams for it. Big duration, but reasonable low lift so as not to need to change to shim under buckets.

I made a bit of an impulse Yahoo bid on a big HKS cam. 304°, 8.1mm lift. There is only one, so I'll need to get another, but price is cheap. Has anyone had experience with these big HKS cams? Also, am I correct in saying that exhaust cam can be put in intake, but not the other way around? This one is advertised as intake, but says can be put in exhaust, and it has the gear on it for the dizzy.

Also, before you guys get your knickers in a twist, in the (hopefully) near future I am going to build a 5A stroker with (I am thinking) 12:1 compression, so the cams should respond well to that set up, I believe.

Should I look for another 304°, 8.1mm cam, or should I stagger the sizes? No one has really said whether there is an advantage.

Cheers.

Edit - Should also mention, I will be running silvertop ITBs.
    Last edited by Bren; 14th August 2015 at 12:32 AM.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

The different duration cams assists with overlap and all that. With modern fuels and a good computer a higher compression ratio should be achievable but with cams that size you'd want to swing it pretty high in the rev range to make the most of them.

The stroker kits out there are expensive and tbh the extra displacement they offer is fairly minimal.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Bren
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

I am getting the stroker kit for a very good price. Sure the extra displacement isn't heaps, but they do make a noticeable difference in torque, and moving the torque curve lower down the rev range. I think this will be beneficial with big cams like these I have a pretty good aftermarket computer, and have read quite a lot of threads saying that 12:1 is very achievable. I am thinking about putting the cams in before I build the good bottom end. That might make it a bit crap to drive, though?
    Last edited by Bren; 14th August 2015 at 10:02 AM.

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Cams that size will be crap to drive around town anyway, I'm running TRD 272's and idling and traffic are total pains. I'd put them in and see what you can do with them, as in tuning etc.

Name
    Bren
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

I need to get another to match, at this stage it is just one. But yeah, when I do I'll definitely chuck them in and see how it goes. I am not too concerned. I think the stroker and high compression will help heaps, when I get the good engine built, and I'll just suck it up until then. Going to get an idle control valve put on when I get the car re-wired, which hopefulyl coincides with cams and quads install. That will help with crappy idle.

Name
    Bren
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

Turns out I won't be getting the massive cams. A late comer to the auction outbid me while I was at work so I missed them. All good though, a mate has a set of Crow 280 x 8.5mm cams that will be much more suitable thanks for the input.

Name
    Jorge
    State
    Madrid
    Country
    Spain

Hi guys,

I am swapping my original 16v which has 256 and 264 HKS cams (not sure where which, as I never fitted them, but suspect 264 for intake) and a TRD head gasket that runs great, but I want more power for the track, without going for boost. I want to stay NA above all.

So, I've bought a 20 valve blacktop. I hope to swap it by the end of the year, and I'm still gathering parts for it.

So far, I have:

- 20v BT (will be rebuilt with Toyota parts, new oil pump with oil pressure raise kit, etc)
    - K1/Pass Racing header
    - Microtech ECU, data logger and dash
    - COP 1NZ conversion
    - TRD/Carrillo FA rods redone for 20mm pins
    - MRP N2 tensioner

Will probably get, but haven't yet:
    - SQ RWD cooling kit
    - bigger radiator (Koyorad w/ mishimoto shroud) and oil cooler (with an electric pump)
    - Toda Pistons
    - Toda/Supertech valve springs
    - Toda cams 272/264; Tomei poncams, or any other that you can recommend
    - Trumpets/Velocity stacks, undecided but leaning towards TODA's 63mm to have decent mid-range, as well as good throttle response. Would love to hear some opinions on these too!
    - MRP/Moroso baffled sump
    - MRP girdle to reinforce the block

Trying to aim for 98 RON / 93 SAE pump gas, so I will probably have to stack a couple of metal head gaskets to stay under 11:1...?

I'm aiming to use the car 30% on the street and mountains, 10-20% freeway to go to the track (long distances, mostly, so getting a taller 5th) and the remaining percentage at the track, but my idea is to have a decent idle and driveability, without compromising performance at the track. Sounds too good, huh? That's why it's not easy for me to choose the cams.

Any recommendations and help are very welcome!

Name
    Bren
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

Couldn't you specify your compression ratio when buying pistons, so as not to stack head gaskets? That sounds like a crap idea...

Name
    Jorge
    State
    Madrid
    Country
    Spain

I'd love to, but TODA states the CR and doesn't give any options AFAIK.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast