Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: 4AGE cams......choices, dyno results and discussions!!!

Name
    Daniel
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Why not just run the 12:1 pistons? What's the point spending all that money on shiny brand name parts to not get the best out of them? Especially stacking gaskets.

I run CP 12:1's on 98, no problems with 284/278 cams. I still retain vvt, starts easy, doesn't lack a bottom end and makes good power across the rev range.

Or if you want the lower compression ratio just use stock pistons? It's proven they're a good quality item, just no wank factor.

Name
    Bren
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

What CR do black top 20v have from standard? If it is 11:1 or close to it, I agree that you should just use stock pistons. But there are plenty of people with 12:1 on 98 octane fuel. As long as the tuner knows what he is doing there should be no problems. What model Microtech? I have been told by a few experienced tuners that they aren't the best for cars with wit ITBs as the resolution isn't good enough at low load/light throttle.

Name
    Jorge
    State
    Madrid
    Country
    Spain

Standard is 11:1 I think, yes. We're considering getting forged pistons from Supertech, since they are 11:1 and we don't need to mess with the timing to be able to use 98 and not be worried about knocking.

Ecu is LT9c. Not happy to read what you're saying, as I plan to be able to drive the car on the street every once in a while, as well as drive long distances to the tracks.

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

More info for 20V cams

I have been given the dyno run of a proper before / after tune from OEM blacktop to some 193C cams from Kelfords and the result was dismal. It was with VVT enabled and it lost power all the way up to 5400RPM and only gained 6% in the peak. They even tried using an offset vin for the VVT pulley to get more out of it. I know that they had it tuned before and after but I don't know the engine specifications. This isn't the first time I have heard of poor results with cams from this company.

On the other hand I keep hearing good things about the Tomei "Poncams", they might be a sedate grind and are a drop in for a stock engine but they are proven to work with the stock cam pulleys using VVT and gain more power than they rightfully should.

Official page:

Back to back run from a North American workshop that produced a similar dyno result to what the company claims (that's a first!):

What looks to be the cheapest place for people to Australia to order them from:

The other option I have been finding out more info from is sourced from the Australian company Tighe, also VVT proven and they are as follows:

Duration: 252 at 0.05" - of note Japanese companies seem to measure at 0.00" / "advertised duration" which is always a higher number.
    Lift: 8.9 to 9mm.

They also told me that they have a profile that is the same as what's used on a Honda CBR1000 motorbike. Same size bucket so it makes sense, probably works well but it's a very long duration so no VVT option.
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Tighe seem to know there stuff. I visited them once and spoke to one of the sons, had so much knowledge on 4A's and they actually race them so I guess that helps.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Poncams always looked like the best compromise to me as well, Its interesting to note how accurate the Claims are too!

Anyone can design a camshaft with some effort and maths but its the testing and refinement that a company like Tomei can afford to do that can set them apart. Like Ivan Tighe with K motor cams, some people just have the runs on the board.

Name
    kenshin
    State
    cavite
    Country
    philippines

set up a 7age, it does most of the tricks and kick more butts.

Name
    kenshin
    State
    cavite
    Country
    philippines

if you have a huge port, will you have a huge velocity of air too?
    I asked this question because i have a bigport sitting on my 7a block and a small port red top in my garage.
    i would really appreciate for some advice.

Name
    Eddie
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

No it doesn't work like that. Imagine blowing through a straw... There is some restriction yes but the air speed out of the end is fairly high.
    Blow exactly the same force through a 3" pipe... Zero restriction but almost no flow at the other end. There is an optimum port size that matches the air consumption of your engine.

Unless you're going turbo where you can forcibly stuff more air into the ports, the smallport head will be better in stock form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    4agte finally finished. 252rwkw with more to come

Name
    Ali
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Just re read this entire thread looking for a bit of info on forced induction cam choices......specifically with use of a turbo.
    I just read about a 300rwhp 4AGTE running "272" cams, but had no other specs of info
    Who here has experience with or knows of 4AGTE punching out decent power....
    What cams work best?
    What lift is desirable?

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast