Thread: Wire brush + Bogged rust repairs , 12-24 months on what do they look like

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default Wire brush + Bogged rust repairs , 12-24 months on what do they look like

Hey,

Not sure if this is the best spot for this, but it kinda is tech so here it is... I could dig through heaps of member rides for the info, but it is easier to ask.

ISSUE

Have just wire brushed rust bubbles, coated with kill rust and bogged over the hole with fibre glass bog and thinking it might have been a waste of time.

Comments

I'm hoping some of you guys have done this before, and can shed light on what the car looks like a couple of years later on. I guess ultimately it depends on how big the rust was, in this case it was about 6cm long and 2-3cm wide. The bog is pretty much only skimmed on / off and isn't thick at all.

I'm hoping to get about 3-5 years out of the repairs and have it sail through rego checks each year but don't want to be digging out bigger patches each year around rego time.

It'll also be painted white acrylic in my garage in the coming months.

Name
    Blake
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Australia

Did you treat the inside aswell? Dad did the same on a 120y that we had and it came back very quickly. Sanded it back again and removed all the rust with grinder and also pulled back the roof lining and treated it on the inside and it lasted a fair while (atleast a year) without any sign of the rust coming back and then the car was sold. Make sure you get rid of all the rust and seal both sides of the metal and you should be fine.

Although if your wanting a permanent solution, cut it out and weld in some fresh metal.

Name
    Dan/Rio
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

your rust will be back in 2 years max. any rust you pretty much have to cut 100% out and weld new plates in. treat everything around where you weld new plates. this way youll have 5-8 years of "no rust".

if youre just painting in acrylic it will eventually end up cracking, fading and need constant polishing anyway. i give you 2 years before youll want to redo it.

either pay the cash to get it done right, or know every 2 years youll need more rust work and new paint

Quote Originally Posted by ae86 View Post
    ive come to the conclusion dan has more STi's than a Subaru Dealership, yeah i went there

Name
    Phuoc
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

treat the rust properly. and fish oil yearly
    Pick up Sydney
    Pics can be sent by phone
    Emails ignored
    Texts ignored
    Private numbers ignored
    Wankers abused

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I agree the best way to fix it permanently is to weld the new plates in, but this car is my old mans ae82 which he has had for more than 12 years, and has more than 500,000kms on it.

So the value of fibreglass to fill the holes is worth more than the car, but i was hoping 3 years before iI can poke holes in it with a screw driver wasn't out of question. But if it is 2 years, then i guess that won't be a complete fail either

So if anyone has pics if they did it this way, of the prep + 12 months later on i'd appreciate it.
    Last edited by Matt; 30th October 2011 at 11:30 PM.

Name
    Chris
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

All depends if it is in a place where structural integrity is needed then weld new metal. If its not then fibre glass should be fine I found someone had done it to my car. (rear wheel well) No idea how long or the extent of the rust before but I'd say 3-5 years but it was starting to peel away and looked pretty shabby.
    MOPAR or no car!

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

where abouts is the rust? sill? try using por15, and yeah fish oil in cavity's helps. you guys have not seen rust until you have seen a rusty mini.