Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: dangdangs 2jzge>1jzgte st141 Rona Wags

Name
    Danga
    State
    Tas
    Country
    Aus

Killed ANOTHER!!! axle last night, and it feels like the crush spacer in the pinion has spat the dummy also...

Housing has to be out of wack, didn't get it checked last time as I only found some axles two days before the last event.

It's coming out tomorrow and going down the road to the engineers to be checked and the centre is getting done as well, possibly with a solid spacer!

Name
    Danga
    State
    Tas
    Country
    Aus

Tore a tooth off the pinion...

Last edited by dangdang; 9th August 2012 at 03:21 PM.

Name
    Danga
    State
    Tas
    Country
    Aus

The theory about the housing.....yep was definitely warped as can be seen in the vid below.

Anytime brackets are swapped on a housing this should be checked, which in this case didn't happen before I bought the car..... and me four axles later....

So housing straightened, fresh axles and centre and a solid spacer in the pinion and she should be good for lots of skids yet!

Name
    Danga
    State
    Tas
    Country
    Aus

Two steps forward...one step back...

Housing was out 6mm on the RH side, enough to be an issue and 2mm on the LH

Back together with a 4.3 centre which is great, thing gets up and goes like a cut cat...but it howls its arse off!

I swapped the pinion flange with the one redrilled for the Rona shaft and have set the preload way to high me thinks /:

Thinking Richmond crown and pinion, truetrac, fresh bearings and solid spacer....
    Last edited by dangdang; 19th August 2012 at 11:04 PM.

Name
    William
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

good plan!

Name
    Danga
    State
    Tas
    Country
    Aus

lol, yeah I reckon weldy is the only way to go

Ok rebuilt the entire 4.3 diff centre with all new bearings, and set the pinion height and backlash

V happy as its so quiet now and even judders less on tight corners, roundabouts, driveways etc

First lap of the mornings practice for rd 3 and this happened...

That's racing

Got her straightened out in time for one practice run and qualified 16th, then was knocked out in the battles against mainland driver Simon Michealmore.

Getting a better qualifying position each time so really happy Will clinch a battle one day!

Last edited by dangdang; 12th September 2012 at 10:23 PM.

Name
    Danga
    State
    Tas
    Country
    Aus

Bought a parts shitter last Monday cheep and stripped it for all I needed on Saturday.

Then stripped mine down, sent the dented cooler pipes down the road to Crawf at WeldLogic and got the old man onto the job of swinging the dollies and hammers.

Wasn't to bad, just leant the top of the rad panel back and crumpled the L/H guard and headlight brackets a bit.

Few splits here and there needed a little welding to firm things up again, radiator had a nice little twist in it but came back into shape easy enough with some persuasion.

Had another blue bonnet in stock so bolted him on, replaced L/H light, indicator and guard which will have to be painted this week as all the blue ones I had were gone.

Slipped another grille in and straightened the stone guard out...all done.

Did notice though whilst I had the radiator out that the crank balancer pulleys bonding rubber is fairly cracked, I had the 2j one come off on the track, and Toyota specifies they be replaced at the 100k interval with the timing belt.

So I better get myself a balancer and slip it on this week methinks!

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Must be handy having the old man to straighten it all out... Thanks for the tip on the pulley too, i'll be getting me a new one for my 1j. Mine was a bitch to get off.

Name
    Danga
    State
    Tas
    Country
    Aus

Yeah, he finds it handy having a son who's a mechanic often enough though Matt, so we keep it pretty even with the favours...generally

I was in luck with my pulley, slid off without using a puller haha!

The Sunday past saw the front of the engine stripped and a new front seal fitted to replace the weeping jobbie in there, a new tensioner and pulley fitted and a new dampener/drive pulley fitted.

Wasn't happy with the tensioner and pulley when I changed the belt last but I didn't have the parts on hand, so I used this time round whilst swapping the balancer to throw them in as well.

Made some more clearance for the cooler pipes and just generally tidied up some details in the engine bay.

Tonight rubbed and two pak primered the front guard and mixed some paint up from the cars paint code.

LA Blue Mettalic, would be a noice colour straight of the gun, has me considering giving the thing a quick sand and flash over with the gun soon....

Seal is for a 4 cylinder! 1j/2j it seems :p

Name
    Danga
    State
    Tas
    Country
    Aus

Bit of a bobby dazzler!

Going to have to do the rest at some stage now...

Also replaced the coilpack loom plugs, they all disintegrated last time I did plugs, I patched them on there and hadn't been keen to touch them since,

which was about eight events ago! Light miss it had at idle is also gone now with fresh plugs, sweet.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast