Name
    Deeken
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Angry 4age carby ignition options.

Hey guys, yeah another thread.

Finally got my hyperpak ignition back from wayne gum (felt like a month) OH wait it was.. anyway, hook it all back up, excited i'm about to get to drive my fresh built 16v and bam, dream shattered, car fired once, on first stroke, then no spark.

Had already had the car almost running well on it before I sent it back to new zealand to get fixed after the computer started shutting down mid drive on a main road later to stop running all together.

Sooooo, I'm looking into options for my ignition.

Have tried running a BIM 024 module, but it pretty much worked as good as the current hyperpak. never fires even after wiring it all correctly and voiding my chance of returning it by using the heat paste..

I have a 4k dizzy outside out of a bomb ke70 but am thinking the adapter is going to cost a few $'s to get machined up, just to fit a 30 yr old distributor onto my head..let alone the fact it will be a step back to a points dizzy and also wouldn't be curved for my engine so would probly pull like shit anyway..

Today when the ignition computer finally arrived back here and I hooked it up and cranked it with no spark, I just thought wow, are you fucking kidding me. not waiting another month to have someone hack into it and "repair" it again at the cost of $25 postage and another month of rego and most likely have it turn up still fucked..

I am now considering a scorcher distributor.. Rang up today and $480 for an electronic distributor with vacuum advance and curved to my engine.. but then also $60 for the adapter plate to bolt it to my head..

What I would like to ask is, has anyone actually got another of these options working? how were they wired? what kind of problems did you have?

I really am a tight ass, but FUCK I am over the 6 weeks I havent been able to drive my car and am willing to fork out 2 weeks wage to get my car running... I'm a delivery driver and I am fucking dieing driving a 2.8 turbo diesel rodeo around. boat ass piece of shit.

//End rant/Questiontime

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I've just been trolling on YouTube about 4age cabry And reading a few comments, you might be able to use bits and pieces off a 4ac distributor in-house with a 4age one to work.. Though I'm not sure if this is onthe same track to your problem but try YouTube, they seem to have a few different way the ignition has been setup but again they don't explain much about it
    dose

Veteran
    Name
    John
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

the scorcher setups from performance ignition services are magic...

i sent my 3tc distributor to them for rebuild/recurve and converted to electronic pickup...had it back within 7 days...

hasnt caused any problems at all...car fires first turn every time (unless some dumbass floods the carby)

highly reccomended...the guys are awesome to deal with...will certainly

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

here are the links ive been watching all morning, pretty basic stuff you probably already know

part 1
    part 2
    part 3
    part 4
    dose

E-Famous (Remeber your roots)
    Name
    marvis
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

MSD 6AL

Name
    Deeken
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I'm leaning toward scorcher distributor. just being a near standard unit, no wiring and modules to run.. simple and clean.. and have proper vacuum advance

Delazy, would you have any pics of wiring to your coil etc? just the same as standard? also, any vids of how your car idles and shit with it?

Name
    Blair
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

What actually failed in your hyperpak?

and whats the likely cuases of the failure?

Just curious as i'm running one aswel and am yet to attend a track day with the setup (where the system will be pushed closest to its limits)

Name
    Bob
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

I am rebuilding a AE86 , 4AGE -- TWIN 40 WEBERS . I was considering hyperpak to run it but have heard of a few problems second hand , so am also interested in any first hand feed back as to the good , bad and any ugly .
    ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG ------ I MUST BE VERY VERY VERY BAD

AE86 4AGE 16V N/A TRACK CAR ( RED )
    AE86 ROLLING SHELL --- IN CASE i F-CK UP !!!!!! (PRIMER )
    AE86 ADM UNDER CONSTRUCTION ( STREET CAR) 4AGE 16V , (RED )
    AE86 Trueno ( RESTORE TO PERIOD GOODNESS ) White
    AE86 4AGZE Wreck ( to be rebuilt into Khannacross fun car )
    KE 15 x 2 -- SPRINTER ( RESTORE TO PERIOD GOODNESS ) RED
    TE72 (T18) X 2 BIT OF PAINT , BIT OF MECHANICAL way we go RED
    Soarer 1995 1JZ Factory 5speed (R154 )

Name
    Deeken
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Well, postage took forever, ran fine when we get the engine in, running with proper 3~ ohm coil.. and it started shutting down halfway through driving along a road.. thought it was strange.. but it could be fixed by just turning my ignition off then back on and the car would run again.. umm..

Thought it might have been the power source, because i thought ok the coil gets ignition 12v, I'll just run the 12v power from the unit to the coil.. where it says unit should run seperate 12v, so i ran another wire from my ignition to the unit.. still shutting down yada yada.. ended up stopping at one stage and didnt start again.. fried itself.. sent it back and took 25 days to receive it back.. hooked it back up how I had it. timing light. boom, fired once, no more.

and now wayne won't reply to my emails and shit.. he has absolutely atrocious communication skills.

Name
    Deeken
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Btw, @Blair could you possibly get some detailed photos of your wiring from dizzy into plug to hyperpak and hyperpak to coil etc? I want confirmation I'm not missing something..