NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default White smoke from exhaust, your 2cents

Car: 86
    Use: street
    Engine: 4age 16v

Just want people's thought

After dropping the complete JDM setup from my coupe into an ADM shell, white smoke had been coming out of my exhaust tip.

Now I do not remember if this happened while the JDM car was running
    Trying driving the car for a short 2-3min up and down the road, car drives perfect, no lose inpower etc etc

Since the whole conversion of running gear, new fluids in the engine and radiator, don't know what the previous oils and fluids were so I got the average stuff from local peps store, nothing fancy, castrol stuff

Anyways, it blew heaps of white smoke on first start up, since the first time the white smoke is now almost completely gone, but still does happen, and I have noticed when engine is cold 'not at 80-85 degree', while warming up, the white smoke will be there until it gets a little hotter then disappear.

I have not driven the car at optimum temperature yet
    Water was present inside the exhaust tip a few times only after white smoke kept coming through the exhaust
    White smoke only, not blue or black...YET???

So is this something to be concerned about?
    will it damage anything at all??
    It's has gradually faded away but not fully gone so thought I might get other people's 2cent on this

Exhaust consist of extractors, has a cat, hotdog, end muffler and tip, a full proper exhaust with o2 sensor as well
    Last edited by Rice86; 14th December 2011 at 09:26 AM.
    dose

Name
    Steve
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

The fact it happened when you swapped motors says to me burning oil/water. More then likely oil.

Keep an eye on your fluid levels and all should be good soon, id say a good oil flush would help but anythings possible. perhaps try the next grade oil higher 15/45 or 10/50 and see if that helps. Keep an eye on the plugs aswell, build up of soot or wet plugs can tell you all sorts of things about an engines health.

Could be moisture build up in carbon in the exhaust, that tends to happen with mine i only drive it 2-3 times a fortnight, blows alittle whitish then stops.

As with any Toyota engine eventually the valve seals get harder with age thus loosing their sealing abilities.

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Mine is very similar to this at a point, i haven't driven the car at all i should say since the conversion.
    Car should be getting rego so i'll drive it and see if it'll stop after driving it consistently,

Thanks for the input, will check fluid levels and dump oil again and use something else if it still burns white or gets worse
    dose

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Why????

Why would swapping the engine from one chassis to the other cause the engine to start burning oil. What point of the conversion process has INTERNALLY damaged the engine causing oil to enter the combustion chambers.
    The fact that the smoke is white and not blue suggests to me, that its NOT burning oil

Id say whats happened is the car has sat around for a bit and formed alot of moisture in the exhaust, starting the car now, is 'burning it off' its just condensation. Just take the car for a decent drive and get the exhaust hot.....

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

How long between the time you started and finished the conversion... I have cars in my driveway which do this if i don't regularly start them... My bike especially does it also as i go weeks / months without starting it.

My gut feel is no it is nothing to worry about, i bet if you look under the oil cap it will look milky too

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

im pretty sure it blew "no smoke" at all while i had been driving the coupe, the engine had not been started for about 1-2weeks before the conversion started, and when it finished would of had been at least an extra week, so i say about 3weeks before the engine had its first crank again

yeah the smoke is WHITE, no other blue or black in the colour at all just pure white..

im pretty sure its just moisture but since the engine has been cranked a few times already *everyday after work* White smoke still coming through the exhaust so i thought i'll just double check with other peoples thoughts

Thanks all, will update next week if it gets worse or still doing the same thing after driving it hard
    dose

Name
    John
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Australia

White smoke is generally coolant loss. Keep an eye on your coolant level when you start driving it. I'm a VW tech and it's becoming an issue with some models using coolant and blowing white smoke on acceleration. There issue is generally egr coolers leaking internally. But thats VW.

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

cheers will take note of this and keep an eye on my coolent too
    dose

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

If it is moisture or coolant in the engine itself there will be milky residue under the oil cap and cam cover breather hose. Check those; if none then as others have said it is moisture in the exhaust, if yes then possible HG but it doesn't seem likely.

Name
    Sam
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

what models??????? my parents are looking at one on the weekend

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast