Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Noob questions regarding VIC registration rules

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Princess Hwy and Chapel st on a Friday night!

Name
    Drew
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

if you plan on going to either of those places i hope you get grounded and fucked with a baton!

Name
    Josef
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

just my 2 sents aside from agreeing with claw, ive found toyotas dont garner much attention unless ur busted being an idiot, i feel more than comfortable driving my sprinter through lilydale never had a problem, just dont think that low is the sickest thing around and matched with offset will make u a legend, just means u got more to change when u get booked which is annoying. most ive ever had to change since keeping a decent ride height is tires.
    4-ac stock sprinter.

Name
    Roy
    State
    VIC
    Country
    New Zealand

Seems like the thread has got a bit off topic - I'm interested in building something LEGAL, not something undetectably ILLEGAL.

Hence if its legal, the insurer has full disclosure = covered.

I'm not interested in building a car that can only be driven on certain streets, frankly the trains the same and cheaper!

I've read through the requirements for when a car must be engineered - seems pretty vague as its only dependent on if the engine swap is for an engine that is not an option for that vehicle?

So what about coil overs etc? Or is it that anything on the vehicle that is not an option from the manufacturer= requires an engineering cert?

also - how much is an engineering cert? is there a standard price/ starting point?

And - roughly whats the pricing on the various 4ages/ whats their availability like?

Name
    Drew
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

suspension mods can be insured withough engineers, everything else needs one, and that will cst you abut $1000 minimum

Name
    matt
    State
    vic
    Country
    australia

claws a dumb fuck though, dont listen to him
    Marvis:
    We should do tandems. It will be like making love.
    And I will run into you.

Name
    Drew
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

fuck off slingsby!

Name
    Josef
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

coilovers are fine aslong as their not worse than what you had, you probably dont need them anyway just get better springs and shocks, perfectly legal, 4age engine can slap it in just change engine number at vicroads, i got a good one for 1500ish? dont even remember but was over 1k but u can get one cheap for like 600 give or take depending where u look just be prepared for a pain when wiring it and converting to rwd from front, get a bolt in cage, dont need engineers and if u do just take it out, aslong as its adr approved should be fine on a track, can make ur car a 2 seater just register it as one, vicroads would prob do it no hassles being a coupe they would prefer it be a 2 seater.
    4-ac stock sprinter.

Senior Member Hen may possibly be a nut's Avatar
    Name
    Hen
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Lurkin, I understand your question, but unfortunately it's a very grey area. It is pretty hard to get a straight answer as to what's legal to modify/change. And in any case, even if you do something by the letter of the law, but the cop who pulls you over or the mechanic doing your roadworthy disagrees then you basically have to grab your ankles.

I'd suggest having a chat to some local mechanics who do roadworthy certs and listen to what they have to say. Find one who seems reasonable and understanding and grill him with the more detailed questions (a 6pack mid-afternoon goes a long way here). A motor swap, including to 4AGE, (along with plenty of other things) will need an engineers cert.

Essentially it is very difficult to keep everything entirely legal, and often a matter of interperetation. At some point you will probably have to make the decision "how legal am I happy with?". And the answer is up to you.

The other option is a 2011 Corolla and make sure you keep new tyres on it.

Name
    Paul
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I would suggest buying an AE71 manual if you can find one, getting it roadworthy and registered in your name. From there you can modify it while it's registered. 4AGE is easy to get onto your rego details as you are going from 4A-XXXXXX to 4A-XXXXXX engine number. Do all the suspension stuff etc.. then once it's all done you can decide whether you want to keep it rego'd as your daily or as a track car. If you keep it as a daily it's probably best to engineer it once everything is done so it all gets certified at the same time. I have done pretty much the same mods with an Auto AE71 (couldn't find a manual one at the time) smallport, coilovers, brakes etc... and decided to just keep it as a track car and daily a panelvan. I became a member of TCCAV earlier this year and decided it was best to put my AE71 on club reg as I will not drive it much and rego works out cheaper as it's only limited use (130 instead 640 per year). So that could possibly be an option for you also.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast