Ryan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default T50 doesn't always engage in 1st or 2nd

Car - AE86

motor / part in question - JDM T50 gearbox

problem -This is the 2nd time it has happened. Sometimes the clutch won't engage in 1st or 2nd, I can have it in gear and let the clutch all the way out without it moving anywhere, but it engages in every other gear fine. Then it will work perfectly fine the next time i go to drive it. The shifter also goes about an inch further after its locked into gear in 1st and 2nd only. The car isn't registered so I haven't had a chance to take it for a spin around the block yet to see how it shifts between gears.

occurs/started when - only occasionally, has happened twice in at least 10 times backing out onto the drive way and driving back in.

Anyone got ideas on what it could be or if it has happened to you before and how did you fix it? Really want to get it sorted so it doesn't happen to me while driving.

Thanks, Ryan.

Senior Member Hen may possibly be a nut's Avatar
    Name
    Hen
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Sounds like the shifter might not be engaging the arms for the shifter forks properly. 1st and 2nd share an arm, and maybe the pin on the bottom of the gearstick is sometimes swinging our past the notch it should sit in. It may be that the big spring thing that push the stick back to the centre (as in to 3rd/4th gear) isn't properly set up and letting you swing too far over toward 1st/2nd.

Hen

Name
    Ryan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Thanks. Pulled the gearbox out and apart today and the pin had fallen out of the selecting arm so it wasn't engaging the fork.