Thread: Rubbing brakes. Rebuild?

Name
    Blake
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Australia

Default Rubbing brakes. Rebuild?

I have noticed the car slightly pulls to the right when driving and when taken up for a spirited drive I cooked the brakes(I just blamed my driving). Upon pulling the wheels off I have realised that the pads rub on the rotors, more so on the right and are very hard to free spin. Has had JDM brake conversion at some point with slotted rotors.

Not sure if they were ever rebuilt before installation and was wondering if this would fix my problem? Should I replace the pistons or just the seals? Also is there anything else I should check/adjust before having to rebuild them. Pads look quite new, lots of meat left and will be bleeding the system this weekend. Looks to have had new brake lines at some point too.

Also to not is a "funny" feeling with the brake pedal. Hard to explain, brakes seem to have an initial force before they will engage. When the car was taken for a RWC the mechanic also noted on this but told me the car still decelarated quick enough and he wasnt sure what it could have been.

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Lube up the pin and the bolt that the calliper moves along, under the rubber boots. You would only need to replace the pistons if they had damaged the bore by becoming off centre, which in that case you would also need to sleeve them. I got a genuine front rebuild kit of ebay well over a year ago for $20 from Japan so keep that in mind. I should actually rebuild mine...

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Wheel alignment can also cause pulling.

Also if the car pulls without braking, cheesed wheel bearings as well as the aforementioned wheel alignment can cause that - totalled wheel bearings can cause the wheel to be difficult to spin - a good punters test is to remove unbolt the caliper, cable tie it out of the way, refit the wheel and then try your comparative 'effort to spin the rim and hub' test again.

I encourage checking these things along with lubricating the caliper slides as timbo mentioned.

If the vehicle is experiencing brake pedal feel problems but not losing any fluid, bleeding the system is a good (and inexpensive) start, however this rarely resolves issues like the one you have mentioned. It is to be kept in mind that any number of components in the hydraulic system as well as the mechanical components in the braking system can be at fault.

Try the basic stuff first, do lots of checks and collate as much information as you can before engaging in a full caliper rebuild, as it could well be a meaningless exercise.
    Last edited by Javal; 20th January 2012 at 09:18 PM.
    You can have any brew you want... as long as it's a Datsun / Corolla / What is that?

Name
    Blake
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Australia

Thanks for that, the pulling to the left is likely to be contributed to wheel alignment. I am in the middle of replacing front end bushings's. I had been told the wheel bearings had been replaced recently so I think I can rule that out.

Thanks for the other info, trying the little things was going to be my start point before I do anything major.