Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread: 2AZ powered 86

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Can get them undone if I want with said 36 inch pipe wrench. Otherwise they stay done up. No need for loctite and it isnt a substitute for correct tension.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I was able to borrow a nice gas mig this morning so now I have spot welded the threaded perches in place. Once I finish dismantling the ae86 front end Ill steal the Cusco tops from it and put those on to complete the suspension, then get it rolling on its southern ways and drop the 2.4 motor in. Then I will apply the panels and bars and make sure all the mounting is good, I think the Boonah race team butchered the rear bar mounts when they cut a tonne of rust out. Should be a light car when its done, and the new engine weighing less than the 4a should mean I can get through engineering without any hassles with reinforcing stuff in the front end.

Then Ill fit the tank and sort out the physical mounting of the fuel system under the car, flare the arches, mount what needs mounting in the bay with custom brackets, close up the cuts in the tunnel, and its time to paint some shit finally!

Looking on track for building this in the Christmas holidays.

Name
    Ben
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Sounding good to me, I'm really interested in how it will go

Gone
    Name
    Joel
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

+ 1 on that!

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Big update today!

Got the front suspension and the quaife rack installed now, very happy with it.

I can turn full lock and nothing collides, its actually got a lot of clearance.

Popped on the gaurds, and even with the xt130 lcas it doesnt poke, however the rears need about an inch of cover added.

One really interesting thing I noticed when removing the original front suspension from the shell, its got adm ae86 struts with slotted rotors and lucas pads installed. The shocks that were installed were trd green 48511-ta001 tarmac non adjustable 1600/980 damping rate. Very nice! Also, the springs installed were trd blue and uncut. I also removed a pair of camber bolts and the cusco tops.

I used the cusco camber tops together with the ra40 strut coilovers made from the 6kg hsd kit, ae86 standard steering arms and xt130 lcas. Bolted together with TTT 35mm RCAs, ra40 tie rod ends and tubes, nolathane control arms bushes and the quaife steering rack. I'm pretty happy with it as its sitting now. Most likely Ill keep a stock front swaybar as I prefer that. Had to slip a washer into the setup to space the needle bearing top hats away from the camber plate and to activate the needle bearing in the tops with the load from the top nut. Works great.

I also removed the old steering wheel and boss kit. The original wheel from the car is tiny, seems like a joke, its about 220mm diameter! I have now fitted my prefered autotechnica 300mm wheel with my own boss kit. I also centred it all.

Next up is to drop in the engine and box and see how the suspension sinks, then try to estimate how much to raise it to get it where I want it. I'm planning to use more travel and droop than previously. A more all round capable style suspension system.

Looks like this rack that I pulled from the ae86 has been reconditioned at some point. I'm not surprised someone has done something to it, its 3.33 turns lock to lock which is unlike any other ae86 rack I've ever heard of. I believe standard are about 2.95 turns lock to lock. It did achieve a lot of lock. Will have to call them and investigate on Monday and see what's up, it has a serial number so I might be able to find out explicit info.

This image shows the tein ae86 added caster tops next to the cusco standard caster type. If you use the caster added ones in a ke70 then its actually correct caster for a ke70.

Name
    Ben
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

300mm wheel?? Man that is tinyyyy

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yeah but what about the 220 mm one that I pulled out! Man, its from a go kart I swear.

Name
    Ben
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Yeah how the hell would you event turn that with no power steering? Haha, any reason why you're going with the 300mm? Not bigger? I had a 330 on my car in the begining and that was pretty rad

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I have small hands, like a carnie.

Seriously though, I really like the fine control you get from the quaife rack. I feel its a bit lost with a larger wheel. I had a twinky wheel for a while but I got really sick of it being so large and I've always found dished steering wheels annoying. Plus I pack the column down to get the wheel a little lower and the smaller wheel means I can fit my man legs under it.

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I had a mate who drove a 323gtx, that had a tiny steering wheel and it was pretty funny to watch him drive... Progress is awesome, I remember how good that quick rack was, big difference.

Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast