Page 19 of 55 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: 2AZ powered 86

Name
    Jacob
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Sell me dmax bonnet

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Im going to try a bit harder to fit it first, but most likely Ill have to swap it for something. There are some threaded posts on top of the top cover I can trim off and that should get me a bit closer to fitting, it might not be that bad once that's done, but the width will still be an issue.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Chopped the middle out of the D Max bonnet today. I'm simply going to make an arched piece of metal or plastic that picks up the angled edges and is highest through the middle to cover it, then smooth it in with some fibreglass. Its actually not quite as bad as I suspected it might be. I undid all the studs for the plastic cover in the top magnesium alloy engine cover, and refitted the pcv valve to it to see the height of it. The PCV valve is the highest part of the whole engine assembly. I had already folded down the throttle linkage and cable mount slightly to aide clearance.

I have installed the new slave cylinder from a 4wd Y series Hilux. It strikes the fork best of all the slaves I have lying around the shed, being for a Y series bell housing anyhow, but it has a different orientation for the bleed and line connections. I ended up cutting down a bleed nipple below the nut and drilling a 2.5mm hole through it so you can tighten or loosen it. It works great. Misses the steering by enough and it sits behind the steering shaft so it wont rock into it.

The steering/slave clearance:

The Fuel reg under the throttles:

The poke factor:

Last edited by LittleRedSpirit; 8th October 2013 at 08:30 PM.

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

In the last pic you could even get away with plexi glass. I kid. It'll look tough with the bulge though. So whats the fix for the pcv or does it just clear?

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Its going to be fine, Ill just make the sheet sit high enough. I need to take it down the road to the sheety and have him make a cover for over the top. I want a little bonus clearance so I can enclose the trumpets in a box. Probably still wont be as high as the a9x scoop I used to have on the ae71.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Been going mental looking for the right fittings to connect shit up,

Fitted the radiator filler tank today on a bracket I knocked up from plumbing saddles and an odd steel bunnings bracket.

Also was able to mock mount the lower radiator brackets and test fit, all works great. They are just stud grippers from Bunnings that will be spot welded in. Perfect size!

Fabricated my own fitting for the clutch bottle relocation.

Also was working on the idle control chamber. Its just going to have the PCV and the 4 inlet ports hooked up to it. The 4 linlet ports are at one end, the PCV in the side, and the idle control will plug in at the other end of the chamber opposite the port connections, so they are all equidistant from the idle control air source. That was the simplest way i could come up with to ensure all 4 ports are able to get the exact same amount of air.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Stoked to have just won this item:

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

OK, did a bunch more.

I fitted the remote brake fluid reservoir from a spacia van to hold clutch fluid. it fits really neatly under the bonnet, I wanted it to sit as high as it could to gravity feed. Pretty happy with it.

Finished the idle control manifold and mounted it.

Also mounted the idle controller to an engine mount.

Fitted the stock ae86 coolant overflow bottle to the drivers strut tower.

Dropped it off the stands and got it rolling again, to see how high I have the coilovers sitting. Bit high but fine to work on.

I might put the radiator brackets in with a couple of self tapper screws for now, and then I can look at what needs doing for the top mount threads.

Im not happy with the coolant overflow bottle, Im thinking I will change to a metal one with a proper radiator cap fitment, so it will bleed at the right pressure into the overflow bottle like a stock vehicle.

I noticed there are no metal lines in the car right now for the fuel/supply/return and breather. I think I might just upgrade them to 5/16th supply return and remake the lines as I dont think the stock lines are the correct size, not from the adm car anyhow.

I think that is a job for once the car comes back from getting the exhaust done.

Now that I'm happy with the idle controller location, and the other bits are in place, I can consider wiring it also. I'm ringing Medicine man right now...

Name
    Ben
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Lookin the goods mate, nice use of bunnings gear haha, also is that the carbon canister I spot in the bay also?

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yes its from a Mazda. Forgot to mention it.

Just need to plumb the radiator nicely once its mounted and work out the filler/pressure cap idea. Might have to invest in a custom box for it from aluminium to get the right hose sizes, or keep wrecker diving for the right parts.

Page 19 of 55 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast