Page 41 of 55 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast

Thread: 2AZ powered 86

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Good to see you ignored that rubbish and powered on with the build mate.

You're work on it is always of super high standards. You have to remember that you are building the car for you and not every other punter in the world. The number of times you hear people say "oh AE86, you should have put a 3SGTE or 2JZGTE in it" with no idea of the complications of such a build astounds me. It's like they have some right to see you build you're car the way they would do it. In the end of the day if they want to see an AE86 with that running gear they should buy one and try to build it to their spec themselves.

It's great to hear that you are enjoying it, will keep an eye out to watch you put the finishing touches on!

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Thanks Robbo.

I purchased some kyb dirtra shocks for the rear and some stock ish rated springs and its transformed the thing from a harsh barge to a well rounded car that I really enjoy driving more. Its about an inch higher in the rear and is much better suited to the front end and feels amazing on the corners.

Ive also bought a 3.3 m2 kit of dynamat so I can reinstall some sound and heat insulation.

Ill paint the floor first and might have to borrow a mig and weld up a couple of things.

Got plush pile knox carpet for the car coming in charcoal colour.

Also I have purchased some new quarter window clips as I found a leak or two creep thru in heavy rain. Must fix before carpet.

Been working more on the airbox, getting close to the shape I want and thanks to some great tips from someone I have decided on a 100mm inlet.

Got a 100mm boss kit to replace my 75mm one as I run a 350mm wheel and quick rack to cut down on sawing at the wheel and I keep hitting the stem for the blinkers on corrections.
    Last edited by LittleRedSpirit; 27th January 2016 at 09:16 AM.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Have now done a few more things. Rally shocks and springs fitted, car is insane now. Fitted some rallyish mud flaps and the trim inside the rear right arch that hides the filler neck. Done some experimentation with air ducting into the bay, but its effect is pointless without air diversion pushing the radiator air away towards exhaust and having someplace there to escape from.

I have also fitted my rose jointed panhard bar. Was a good thing but darn it it came without bushes or spacers to bolt it in. I found the Toyota shank nuts made the ideal spacer once I drilled out the thread and cut off the ends, it shouldered beautifully with a tight fit inside the rose joints bearing, the other end I just had to drill out some washers to make 10mm of packing to bolt the diff end on across the 20x35mm post. Very happy with the result and the diff is nicely centred.

The new springs and shocks and the mudflap and bar mounts I had to make because someone cut off the lower boot wells completely before I got the car.

New Panhard bar installed:

The mudflaps, with extra cover ala rally:

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Wheels came. They fit awesome!

Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Did you get these from Just JDM Imports?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

No from some guy in sydney
    15x7 0 front
    15x7 +13 on the rear
    R8888 Proxies

Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yeah cool. The only reason I mention Just JDM is because Craig loves those fin style wheels. He's got heaps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yes he does but he only has fairly tame sized ones left and not very affordable for me. I got a great deal on these via ebay, and was rewarded with a great set of wheels that suit and fit the car perfect.

Ill be selling my custom refurbished Southernways 15x8 -6/-8 set.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

So I've got new tyres federal 595 rs-r street semi slick type. Supposedly pretty decent for 139 a corner fitted. Decided against sticking with 225s as the tyres are so grippy they flick shit around, they run with the grooves in the road, and are a little harsher than Id hoped after doing a few more miles on them. Hopefully a skinnier tyre in a similar compound will strike a nice balance for me to daily drive.

I also got stuck into the wild looking bonnet and toned it down some by painting it out satin black. I also added more ventilation by widening the vents underneath the mesh inserts and by flaring its nostrils in the top rear corners of the raised area.

Its a bit of a shit rattle can job but i plan to bake it in the sun this week then wet sand and redo next week. I had minimal time between coats and it was a pretty cool day too. Overall though its a bit tamer looking.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Got the new rubber fitted. Tyre shop dudes must be legit morons. Put my rears on the front and fronts on the rear. Had my back tyres out the arches and the front underhung, then tried to say, you should have it like that. No flush thanks dickhead. Also some of the weights flung off and I find someone used a bash on weight on my wheel. Not fucking cool. All sorted now, you just have to go back twice and explain to them how to do their basic job.

Jax tyres at Mitchelton not recommended.

Anyhow, its better steering, lighter feel and less rail roading with the grooved out roads here. Grip seems good, ill have to go to the mountains to see how it really performs.

Page 41 of 55 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast