Page 42 of 55 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast

Thread: 2AZ powered 86

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Made some tweaks to the throttles, sealed up a couple minute air leaks at the trumpet baseplate. Sealed up a couple of minute coolant leaks, the kind that just leave a scale behind and not any actual liquid. Carby cleaned the inlet lightly.

Also glued the layers of the bonnet better since the lower layer sagged a bit and rubbed some paint off the top of the firewall.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Wired and fitted a hall effect speed sensor to the left front hub. Now I have more data in the logs, more control over the ecu and the ability to closed loop idle control if need be.

Name
    Marco
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Any chance of a couple of photos on how you mounted the hall effect?
    Assuming that you used the gt101 on the back of a disk to hub bolt head for the reading?
    Been strongly considering this method for traction control and boost by gear but haven't seen any images or anyone else fitting them to the front hubs or tail shaft on an ae86.
    Big up's for the North East Massiv'
    NSATB - New Skids Around The Block

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

The mod took about 2 hours from start to finish. Some struts may be harder to set up but the ra40 strut has a very handy distance between the back face of the heavy calliper bracket mount and the bolt heads spinning on a 97mm pcd in the hub. I was able to tap a single m6 hole to bolt the thing in spaced by about 3 half mm tall washers which was all it needed to stop the sensor tip interfering with the bolts.

I used my drills to start the hole off for the tip but because it blows out the side of the bracket over a certain size I finished it with my die grinder till it was all neat and tidy fitting.

I used a waterproof connector. The sensor is 3 wires and it only requires a ground (i did it on the head), and 12 v accessory or ig power and the one wire that sends the signal to the yellow and brown vss wire on the ecu.

Name
    Marco
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Great job, and many thanks for the clear explanation and photos.
    Much appreciated.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

No worries Marco. Its an easy mod, its well worth doing.

I have now purchased a BOC smootharc 180 welder and some gas. Bought it new, not a bad deal all up about 900 bucks with 2 rolls of wire, gas, tips, reg etc.

If I can get my brother here to fit a 15 amp point Ill ber in business.

This will let me finish restoring the floor so i can paint it and lay the sound deadening over it. Then carpet is going in.

Ill be pulling out the whole interior I think and Ill address the fire wall too, as there's some remnants of the old sound deadening still attached there to remove before I paint and go over it with the new material. With Winter around the corner it might be time for me to fit the heater too. Hell maybe I should pull the motor and have the 11:1 slugs fitted too, I reckon there's some nice gains to be had with those. I need cold air induction though or I might suffer from detonation at 11:1 on pump fuel with 50 degree inlet temps.

I've been looking into how I can load reference vvti and unfortunately I think I will need to use VE tuning, which I don't rate at all for itbs, but you never know maybe Ill get into it. This will allow me to free up a map so I can use it as a high resolution vvti table. Its either that or purchase a new Adaptronic modular ecu which is infinitely upgradeable and can do whatever with less limits.

Ill also look at setting up closed loop idle now that I have a vss and can identify when the car is still.

Ill also look at switching to closed loop fuel control too as I have all I need to do that, but maybe if Im going to VE Ill hold off on that for now and get that instituted first.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Went heavily into tunig this car yesterday and made some more breakthroughs.

I switched to VE tuning which meant researching all the engine data I needed, and entering this into the ecu for use in its calcs.

I entered fuel pressure, cc/min of injectors, engine capacity, injector lag times for all voltages, and wrote a vvti mapping table from scratch.

The whole point of this is to enhance low down torque, and this was done by reducing the vvti angles at part and low load conditions.

With map x tps like I had been using, the map sensor has an entire fuel map for scaling on Manifold pressure, but now I've simplified this because I wanted to use the fuel table for vvti angles. In ve mode the map sensor is natively compensated for which frees up fuel map 1. Now in unused,tps mode I just have a tps vs rpm table for my fuel and one for my vvti control, the division by 10 of the ignition for the old algorithm is redundant so Im just running from a timing and fuel table only with no other scaling or compensations.

I was chasing the lowest idle I could get so I devised a test in the dark for seeing how close to perfectly closed my throttles were. I shone an led light up the idle control port of each cylinder and looked at any light that spilled around the butterflies. I was able to get the things to close tighter which with that and all the other changes had me hunting for idle at operating temps. Therefore I will have a fiddle today and get past that, and begin retuning in earnest for the ve values. I did a 15 minute test drive last night and it drove amazing, torque came on harder and with more of a rush from part throttle which has added an effortless character to the movement of the car, and I even drove around up and down hills in 5th below 60klm/hr to collect data on some really low rpm driving conditions and it pulled nicely for me. AFRs are a bit up and down, nothing concerning, but it idled at a sensible afr and drove well with nothing more than the right data and the switch to ve. Initially it was way rich but then I realised I had en error in my fuel pressure data where I entered too low a value and it was manifold referenced when it didn't need to be on NA, so that was removed, which completely stabilised the fuel pressure and I adjusted it to 333kpa and set that in the ecu too. After that it was very good and drivable.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Had issues with vvti being stuck at a figure and not moving.

Turned out to be a Firmware glitch where if you use non standard map spacings like my tuner did the vvti cannot talk to the ecu anymore. Easy fix, was to to just use standard 500rpm spacings for the fuel map that controls vvti. Now finally the vvti is load sensitive in that I can map it accurately with tps vs rpm.

Initial test drives show the power is back! Spins the semis nicely.

Name
    Nat
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Awesome! Keen to see some video of this beast in action!

Name
    Marco
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Great work in the fault finding and fine tuning of light load map sites.

Page 42 of 55 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast