Page 9 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: 2AZ powered 86

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Hey laurence, yeah nice meeting you too.

I just want to put it all together.

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Wow what progress! I'll have to sort some time out and come over for that visit/look see.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

So I have now removed the motor and box, and I have taken all the bits to have the flywheel sorted.

I decided not to use 2azfe flywheel as there is no easily replaceable starter motor option for a Y bell and 2az flywheel combo.

So instead I now plan to use the y starter and bell housing.

I think NPC will end up just making me a custom flywheel from steel, lightening it a fair bit, and then adding the biggest and most powerful clutch that you fit in the Y housing. He mentioned he would try and fit a 10 inch skyline clutch to it.

Should have it back in about 3 weeks time.

In the mean time another member wants to use my half-cut to make engine conversion parts from. So that gives me extra space in my shed to wheel the car out and do a bit.

So as long as I have the coil overs and engine and box combo back before the holidays I should be able to get it pretty close to finished over Christmas. Ill need to sort an ecu and a tail-shaft out for them once its all installed.

Also, the fans I wanted to use that suited the stock Celica thermo fan didn't fit where I wanted them to fit, and fit super poorly on the alloy radiator, which leaves me no choice but to make a custom shroud for the radiator and a couple of after market thermos.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I have the motor n box back with a slightly custom flywheel.

Doug at NPC found it was easier to just machine down the 2azfe flywheel to fit the ring gear from the rwd Y series flywheel.

This allows use of cheap and decently large 9.5 inch toyota clutches. Just like the nnew one I have with the flywheel, so saves a lot of money by not needing some different disc and pressure plate. Doug also mad a custom throwout bearing carrier and upgraded the bearing to a much larger dameter unit. So hopefully that limits my noise from the throwout with the bigger bearing. Im a bit over how Toyotas seem to always have a noisy throwout. haha.

Tomorrow I will do a bit more. I plan to have a bit of an organisatinal day. I will tidy up a lot of the small jobs that needed doing.

Later in the week I will get back my cooling pipe with its gold plated finish, and the coilovers and little bush adapters that Im waiting on to put the diff in. Ill also drop the gearbox to diff lapping for the brass kit to go in. Then I can do a final assembly of the motor-driveline and investigate the tailshaft.

Im thinking on the new block Ill have it helicoiled where the engine mounts bolt in to so I get a steel thread for the m12 bolts.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Having the engine mount holes helicoiled today on the good block.

Will also fit the diff baffles, and polish the inside of the inlet manifold.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Got lazy on the manifold and diff but I did have the block tapped and the heater port heli coiled for a banjo bolt.

I also finished drilling and tapping enough holes for the bell housing union.

I just need to trim the block for the starter and move the drain bung in the sump and the motor and gearbox can be assembled ready to fit.

Absolutely dying to get my coil overs finished and then installed so I can sort the body out for paint.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Bit of a disappointment, my gearbox is in pieces and I wont get it back till next year. I took it to diff lapping, and in the only problem Ive ever had with them, they gave me the old, we've been ringing you for 3 days routine but I had received no calls. Just a bad excuse for not getting it done. So now I cannot assemble anything and it all just can stay as piles of parts for the holidays. Super bummed.

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

all in good time Mr Matt.............. will be epic when together
    ------------------>>>Need something welded locally??? Hit me up, I may just be able to help<<<------------------

BENT MECHANIX - Garage 20:

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Here is a better idea of the bell housing union. I drilled and tapped 2 x m8 and one m12 x1.5 thread to make the union. The x marks show unused holes. Numbered are used and st means starter mount holes. It uses 2 dowels and the dowels locate it perfectly centred.

Bellhousing union:

2azfe flywheel and clutch with 4y ring-gear fitted.

Custom billet throwout bearing carrier and oversize bearing

Heater pipe tugged out and helicoiled for an m16 banjo bolt to aide firewall clearance.

Engine mount holes professionally tapped right to the bottom.
    Last edited by LittleRedSpirit; 27th December 2012 at 07:22 PM.

Gone
    Name
    Joel
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

i cant wait to see this running in the bay...

Page 9 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast