Gravedig my own thread.

I had a really good day playing with this today. I got a 3y bellhousing to play with.

I think it suits better, It puts the starter on the inlet side as well as the slave, and fork, so header clearance is improved on the left.

I modified the 2azfe block and the y bellhousing to match, I just picked the 4 best spots to drill and tap and managed to make quite a solid union. So thats' step one, motor and box together. There are 2 studs on the bellhousing that line up and centre perfectly, so its pretty easy to locate it and now I have 4 well placed fixings to attach the 2.

Next thing was to drop in the flywheel, and check starter engagement. I looked at Y, and S starters. Neither starter suits the larger 2azfe flywheel that just fits inside the bell housing perfectly. I shaved the block to get room to slip starters in, was easy took about 15 minutes of stitch drilling, one tap with the hammer and 2 minutes with a flap disc. I think the right starter may come from an M series engine, perhaps in a cressida. The 2azfe has the same size flywheel as the V/MZ, M, and JZ motors. So therefore Im hoping the easily findable M series starter will work. It will need about 10-12 mm of spacing forwards, so I will make a thick cover plate to make it sit correctly. I can use this plate to adapt the bolt pattern if need be, but I'd rather keep it simple and use a more elegant starter if possible. Even a 4age AE92 reduction starter might suffice, its only 9:1 comp.

Ill have to turn my ring gear around, but Id like to lighten the flywheel a bit so I might just have the clutch shop do that all at once.

2azfe clutch disc is the same spline as the Corona W57 that I have.

I need to find a spigot bearing, Im unsure If I need a double or single row type at this time.

Tomorrow I'm going to the all the wreckers to find some bits to keep going on this, Id like to have a solid motor/box/clutch/flywheel/starter set up by the end of the week if all goes well.

I have accepted that the motor will lean a few degrees left. This OK I think, I will add one oil drain, there is a perfect spot there, it will require a custom sump and an extended oil pick up, but that's pretty easy as its just a steel sheet metal sump to modify, and I can increase the capacity.