Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4age running really rich, not sure what to do!

Name
    ryan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default 4age running really rich, not sure what to do!

CAR - ke70
    MOTOR - 4age bigport
    USE - soon to be a slide kart
    PROBLEM/QUESTION - car running really rich
    OCCURS/STARTED WHEN - when car was wired up

hey guys

Just got my car wired up and running, but its running really rich(cant go under 2000rpm without it stalling). The guys at workshop i got it wired up at reckon my fuel pressure regulator is either buggered or too small for the fuel pump i'm running(its a fairly big walbro, similar to an bosch 044 i think). but speaking to some other people with a similar fuel pump size they say they don't have a problem. i'm thinking it could be my 02 sensor causing it but have no way of checking, i just have a single wire o2 sensor from repco because the toyota o2 sensor did fit my manifold(thought they all did the same job but could be wrong) what do you guys reckon? any help is much appreciated.

cheers guys

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I've ran cars with no 02 sensors without too many issues aside from fuel economy being down a little.

Have you checked your ecu for codes? And what do the plugs look like?

Also what did you do to sort out the injector resistance issue too? Did you get that box?

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

its not the o2 sensor.........the sensor on early cars like this only adjusts fuel mixture on cruise and once the engine had reached operating temperature.

things you need to check-

- operation of coolant temp sensor on rear of head that provides signal to ECU. If this is faulty it will provide a cold signal to ECU all the time, this will make the engine run on cold start and increase fueling.
    - the engine wont necessarily run at excessive RPM when its rich.........im thinking you might actually have a vacuum leak causing the high RPM. I gather this is all happening at 'idle' speed? Id seriously be looking for a vacuum leak to bring the idle speed back down then sus out the 'running rich' after.

Senior Member Hen may possibly be a nut's Avatar
    Name
    Hen
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Check ECU for codes. Always the best place to start.

It could conceivably be your fuel pressure regulator. Checking fuel pressure with a guage will settle that.

And no, it's not your O2 sensor causing this (also all single wire sensors work the same way and so are interchangeable).

Name
    Mike
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

check for a vac leak, get your self either smoke machene (or a heap load of mates who smoke), water and poor it over mani/injectors will hear a sucking noise, and it will run like balls sucking in water, or carby cleaner and spray mani and injectors, seeinga s it idles high as now you wont notice if there is a leak with carby cleaner as much as the first 2 (as if there is a vac leak and you spray carby cleaner on it, idle will rise), mate of mine had issues with the idle control valve on the bottom on the throttle body(for powersteering on jdm 86, you could cover the throttle body completly and it still idle at 2-3 grand, fixed it by taking control valve off, and making a gasket bloking it from teh throttle body), or make a nice plate instead

why do you think its running rich??? because of high idle?

Name
    Ali
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Does it sould like a bridge-ported rotary?
    Could be the MAP sensor vacuum point is hooked to either a dead vacuum point or a weak vacuum point...
    I did this by mistake the first time I did a bigport conversion.
    Sounded tough as nails but chewed fuel like you would not believe.
    Last edited by Futo_gt86; 4th February 2012 at 07:32 PM.

Gunner

I reckon its temp sensor issues, I used to work at the said workshop. When the car came in, most of the sensors did not match the harness. Including temp sensor (was the square shaped one, not the one with the curved corners. I don't do the whole wiring side of things, so I am unsure of what Sam (shop owner) did in regards to that particular sensor. Whether the plug was changed, or the sensor was swapped out, I can't remember, as I said I didn't do the job.

But that is where I would start.

As for vacuum leak, posisble, but i doubt it, I do belive the engine was smoke tested at some point, when we initially had problems.

Name
    Chris
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Replace 044 with a vl one to test.

044 is a 5 bar pump. Your reg will be aprox 3

Name
    ryan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

ok so guess that rules that out. Nah i haven't checked the ecu codes, i don't have the controller to check them. do you know where to get the controllers? the plugs are black and sooty.

yea i got the the injector resistor and its hooked up.

ok which one is the plug that sends temp reading to to the ecu? because i just had a look and the brown one is not plugged in and from what i remember i have ae92 sensors with the round plugs at the back of the head.

should i get ae82 sensors to replace the ae92 ones i have?

well the only thing is i cant check it at high rpm because its a fresh engine and it hasn't been run in yet but it runs ok up to 4000rpm, at times the revs will go up then down, up then down as if its running lean, but then it goes away. The idle speed was manually turned up by the guys at the shop to stop it from dying.

How do you check for a vac leak? and is the vac sensor supposed to plugged into here?
    (arrow in white) also i checked the loom and couldn't find a plug for the air intake temp sensor would this be contributing to the problem?(thing being pointed to by the red arrow)

yea just need the controller to check the codes first before i can check those. is there any way of telling when your fuel pressure regulator is screwed? apart from using a fuel pressure guage?

hmmm may try the carb cleaner. another thing, there is a little hole just past the throttle body in the mouth of intake manifold, the person who owned the engine previously, put something down it to block it off. could that be part of the problem?

nah i know its running rich, because the shop i got it wired up at ran it on the dyno with the exhaust sensor in and said it was rich.

i couldn't say as it was while ago when i heard it run. yea will have to check that. the map sensor is hooked up to here(arrow in white)

yea i think thats the problem, the brown temp plug is unplugged and its running ae92 sensors so will probs need to get them swapped over and see how i go. yea he changed the plugs on the green one but i'm pretty sure its still an ae92 sensor.

if none of the above suggestions work then will give this a go.

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

That brown plug NEEDS to be plugged in. I had it off to check that it was working and the "check engine" light came on straight away, I was pretty sure that is the coolant temp sender. If that is off then your ECU will add extra fuel as it sees the engine being cold.

Air intake sensor won't matter so much, but I would suggest pushing the vacuum hose for fuel reg all the way on. Same with the brake booster line, uncrimp it and push it all the way up to make sure it seals properly.

Also check that your cold start injector is stuck open or leaking any excess fuel. It may be adding fuel as that brown sensor hasn't been plugged in.

In saying all this, my engine runs a little rich and I have all these things working properly on my smallport. I'm still yet to pinpoint the actual cause of it as everything that has been mentioned here has been double or triple checked by myself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast