Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 4AGE 16v vs 4AGE 20v, cost/performance.

Name
    Barwick
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Default 4AGE 16v vs 4AGE 20v, cost/performance.

Hi guys,
    Im looking at dropping the 4A-C and wanted to know what your experiance was with each of the 4AGE engines:

cost of conversion
    performance capacity
    best way to get the car legal with the new engine

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Your from SA, so about making your car legal seems much more easier the any other states when compared.. Seems like it anyways

16v, you can have complete JDM setup which is direct bolt on, makes life easy
    20v, no complete RWD setup from standard *water pump system*, dizzy will hit the firewall

16v would be easier then 20v, the hardest part would be electrical side of things for both conversion without 16v JDM looms
    20v would be aftermarket ecu, standard ecu is possible though not many people go this way for 20v for some reason I don't know about..

That's about much it, everything else is pretty much the same for both engine.
    16v and 20v can make same peak power with a lot of money.
    20v has more puff from standard and itb as standard.

16v with quads sounds much better then a 20v, it just does!

depends where and who you buy the engine off, 16v 4age - $500 to $1500 complete RWD engine+ECU+loom
    20v would be - $600 to $1000 standard form (front wheel drive), both are general price range, look around here or get it from local import wrecker
    Last edited by Rice86; 6th February 2012 at 10:43 AM.
    dose

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Sam q off here sells allot of good bits which makes the 20v much easier to do than it used to be... You can use stock ecu with a dizzy relocation kit which puts it at the front of the engine which is still under R&D (hurry up sam) and his water kit looks good too. Wiring isn't that scary either, sure it is a little harder than a 16v, but not stupidly hard. Main reason most ppl go after market ecu is they ditch the dizzy setup due to the clearance issues, whatever you do don't bash your firewall to make it fit. It looks ugly and i'm unsure of the engineering side.

From my experience with the 20v and i've owned a quite a few of them (mostly fwd tho). The blacktop is a much nicer / free reving engine. To me the difference in the 20v's is similar from getting in a bigport vs smallport between the two. You'll spend 2-3k on enhancing a 16v to get it to perform about the same as a healthy blacktop. Silvertops have more torque , but if you keep the revs up to a blacktop it doesn't struggle.

Budget wise are you doing most of the work yourself or are you relying on someone else?

Name
    Steve
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Personally having all 3 versions of the 4age, unless your after really high killawasp go 20v silvertop.

If just a general run around blast for fun dont care about lowish killawasp or the odd engine rebuild then go smallport.

Cost of each well that depends on to much to list, legality i wouldnt know in SA but most places would be bigport with rwd accessories as it came in that chassis, would be the easiest.

Name
    Barwick
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Thanks for your help guys. I am planning on doing most of the work myself hopefully. Has anyone done the conversion themselfs and if so can you remember a rough estimate of how much it cost, just in parts (no labour)

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

weird question, nearly everyone on this forum has done it themselves or had a 2nd hand man to help

Like said the conversion is not hard, getting the car started after is the tricky bit because it requires thinking
    If you have an engine crane then you'll be fine with any labour work required

the amount of money you will spend depends on what parts you already have and DONT have...

AE86: $1000 - $27k JDM Black edition
    16v 4age: $500 - $1500
    ECU: $100
    16v Loom: $150-$300
    20v 4age: same
    Aftermarket ECU: $1500
    T50 gearbox: $300-$500
    S Diff: $20...
    T Diff: $300
    JDM T Diff: $1500
    2 way LSD: $1000
    JDM Front Brakes: $300
    15x8.5s Wantanabes - $2500
    Panda Paint Job: $100-$10 000
    Trueno Front: $2500

something like that
    dose

Name
    Jacob
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

When you put it like that, it makes me want to go grab a new ae86 and do a JDM conversion

If you want to go the 20v, but dont want to get a dizzy relocation kit, you can do what one of the owners of my car did and just bash the firewall in. >.>

Gunner

without aftermarket ecu you'll be looking around 4-5k to do 20v properly (with rwd conversion bits) with aftermarket ecu push it closer to 7-8k (ecu unit, coils, wiring, tuning) 16v is a fair bit cheaper at 2-4k depending on how yo go about it.

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I think the best bang for buck is a silvertop with a new ECU. Will slaughter a blacktop on the original ECU and any unmodded 16V. 20V engines have a bad rep for low end power because of their base tune. Although I am not a big fan of the idea I am developing a dizzy kit as Matt said but having some issues with the design, it's a really annoying part to make.

Adaptronic ECU's seem to be the go thing at the moment, however the initial cost is higher going with this option.
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.

Name
    Phuoc
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

rice86 is on the money. best bet is wait for someone to offload theirs or buy one with it and offload the shell later, save you time looking for all the parts and moneys in the long run
    Pick up Sydney
    Pics can be sent by phone
    Emails ignored
    Texts ignored
    Private numbers ignored
    Wankers abused

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast