Thread: Factory/Workshop Space For Lease (VIC)

Name
    Cameron
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Default Factory/Workshop Space For Lease (VIC)

Have a 230sqm factory in Dandenong and looking for others who would want to lease some space with us.

Price depends on how many cars you want to store.

You are welcome to do cashies in this space if you want, as long a percentage go to the factory kitty for tools ect.

For more details give me (cam) a call on 0438690611.

Name
    Robert
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

you know what i think you should look into a business venture here always had the idea of a round the clock workshop where you can rock up sign some oh&s bullshit. staff drive the car onto the hoist. work on your car while others are there. hourly rate covers compressors tools ect supply your own fluids/parts. if your not sure how to get a bolt off ask someone. not sure how to bolt in that gze no dramas someone on the hoist next to you has done the swap. no liability for workmanship as you sign a waver. pay your fee and work away on your car.

its probably a stupid idea but to be honest the only thing slowing me down in working in my drive way on safety stands/ rain and not having an engine crane at my disposal. i really wonder how hard it would be to get somthing like this up and running as a yearly membership and booking in time on a hoist and paying a tools hire fee when down on paper means instead of having to rely on a mechanic to do a job that i can easily do my self i pay the 280 for the hoist hire/tool hire do the job my self and walk out with 300 bucks that would have been profit to someone else

Name
    Robert
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

and a deposit of $100 that i don't get if i don't clean up any spills or mess's i make

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

while a workshop rental might work, the waver won't
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.

Name
    Jacob
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

mmm I've been contemplating opening up something like that in Sydney, but I don't even want to think of the legalities.

I think you can hire out a spray-booth at the place MCM used for their show-car Micra, and I got the idea from that because I have ZERO space at home... but if someone were to die because the jack failed or they were doing shit they didn't know how to do, you're kinda liable.

I might chat to a JP, see if he knows anything

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I think you would have a hard time with some people who take advantage, begging borrowing or stealing things. For every person who gets it and respects the process there would be another who would abuse the system.

Liability is difficult but it can be done, for instance there are woodworking shops here in Brisbane that let you walk in off the street with no training and use a rather dangerous panel saw. I cant see it being impossible from that perspective.

Its a question of structure too. Would all the contributors be on the board with an equal vote? Would people be willing to pony up some serious money for a long term workspace there? Its one thing to hate working in your driveway, its another to hate it enough to spend $5000 plus just to put an end to it. Who buys and maintains the hoists? Someone would have to be there all the time, which makes me think unless it was set up and run as a business by the operator, it would be prohibitively expensive to have a board of stakeholders employ someone to be there running it.

Its hard to get the numbers and the funding together as a group, so someone would just have to give it a go as a business idea.

With 230 sq metres, you could really only effectively have perhaps 4 to 5 hoists in there if you needed some storage as well, looking at around $5000 each hoist to set up and certify each one at a minimum. If you want a booth, then thats 10-60k depending on how elaborate a system you want to employ. That would also reduce how many hoists you could fit. It could be a good earner if you had a good occupancy rate. Tools for public use would constantly need replacement from misuse or theft. You could easily invest $150,000 to start a business like this, and you would have ongoing overheads of the lease payments (maybe 30 grand a year plus outgoings), the loan payments on a 150,000 business loan over a term of around 10 years, perhaps $2500 a month.

Lets say you have 5 people in there working 50% of the time, so 2.5 days a week x 5 people x 8 hours each day. Thats an estimated 100 paid hours each week.

Now lets look at weekly costs:
    As above 30k lease + 6k outgoings + 30k business loan = $66,000 per annum estimated operating expense.
    so 66k/52 weeks = $1300/week overhead.

So if you want to make some money for all this effort, you would perhaps look at doubling your investment as a rule.

So you would be aiming to bring in $3500 a week to make it profitable as a minimum.

so
    3500/100 = $35/hour would be the minimum you could charge to survive. Thats about half what a mechanic charges. So the idea would be that the user can complete the task in less than twice the time it would take to have someone do it professionally.

So to take into account real world trends, you would start slow with no occupancy, and have to advertise somehow, so you would need to get to your baseline occupancy pretty quickly to avoid going broke in a hurry.

Also, most people would only want to use it on weekends, and likely bring their cars over late on a Friday to work on Saturday, so you would be there for some odd hours. You cant really let someone work all night unsupervised, so if someone has a race meet coming and needs the service time it could be an issue. Then you'd be dead quiet in there for half the week at least.
    Last edited by LittleRedSpirit; 25th March 2012 at 07:39 PM.