Veteran
    Name
    Josh
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Long time no update.
    G54 is on the stand in the shed, ripped it apart to discover shagged balance shaft bearings and a couple broken rings. No bore damage though, thankfully. Bores are bloody brilliant, no wear lip and there's still a faint crosshatching from the last time it was re-ringed. Standard size, too. Gonna be able to get away with just a re-ring and a hone, which is always nice.
    Also now has Magna rods, replaced them all to avoid balance issues.
    Balance shaft eliminator kit, new rings and a hone, come at me. Should be running soon, just needs reassembly now.

Oh, attempted to weld up the front half of the exhaust as well. It's basically that set of extractors with a 2" in/out 18" hotdog (stole it from an N13 Pulsar with a ghey cannon, lol) welded to the end, and a slip joint welded to the end of that to attach it to the rear half of the exhaust, which will be stock for now.
    Didn't *quite* work. Birdshit welds aside it's held together fine, no holes or anything, but there's a bit of cut/weld required so it lines up right. As it stands, the aforementioned slip joint is about 30mm below where the stock flange would be. Will get onto that tomorrow.

Name
    Ron
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Hey mate, I used to own a few sigma turbos and starions and I still have a bunch of astron turbo parts sitting in the shed. Not sure exactly what I have but I know there is manifolds, turbos, external waste gate, a sump pretty sure I have a metal head gasket as well as other bits and pieces. Would have to check on the condition of stuff but I would let stuff go cheap. If your keen on any parts hit me up and I will send you some pics.

Veteran
    Name
    Josh
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Yeah cool, sent you a PM

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Good to see this thing still kickin'

I lost motivation on silvia. Haven't touched it in forever.

Veteran
    Name
    Josh
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Progress. Dirty engine bay is dirty.
    Sister's boyfriend (I think he's on here, from Wollongong and owns a couple AE86's and a red Scorpion like this one) and I got stuck in and put the 2L back in it, just to get it driveable so I'm not just looking at it sitting all the time.

Needs brake fluid+bleed, trans oil, hook up the tailshaft, exhaust manifold so flameage doesn't melt the brake reservoirs, few other little things then it'll be goose enough to see if it starts..

Veteran
    Name
    Josh
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Drove this today. Needs a wheel alignment, interior's still in a million pieces and had to take it easy because it's missing the flywheel dustcover and battery clamp, but still.

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

I drove around for like a year without a flywheel dust cover. nuthin to worry about. clamp... not really.

Must be good to drive the car every so often.

Veteran
    Name
    Josh
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Said dustcover is kind of a necessity when you live on a gravel road, lol.

Copypaste update:

The car goes surprisingly well for what it is, I'm honestly surprised. Lights up the rears with relative ease in 2nd on gravel, and gets moving a lot quicker than it ever did with the bunky old 2.6, or my paltry efforts at a hot 2L.

Engine's one a mate built for his Lancer a few years ago, made 142hp@6100rpm on his local TAFE's engine dyno with dual 40's so it's not exactly your average shitbox Sigma engine. He never ended up using it past the initial running in, ran with a hot 1600 he got cheap off an old rally guy instead, so it just sat in his shed until I picked it up last month. Stuck a standard intake on it, slotted in a 2.6 dizzy (Lancers have different dizzy plugs to Scorpions), hooked it up, fucked around with the timing for a bit, wound it over and it ran like a swiss clock, apart from that tappet rattle that all Mitsubishi engines from 4G30 to 4B11T seem to have. Could do with a less restrictive intake, bike carbs, dual 40's or some shit, it runs out of puff around 5500rpm so it's definitely being strangled. Could get an adaptor made up and run EFI, dunno yet.
    Made an exhaust for it as well. Was a pain in the arse to make, had to do some cutting and welding so it went where it was supposed to, but, surprisingly, it turned out pretty well in the end. Unknown set of 4-2-1 extractors straight into a 2" in/out 18" hotdog, then 2" straight back to a stock rear muffler. Sounds good, surprisingly. Not too loud until you hit ~3.5-4k, gets a bit raucous after that. Not terribly so, but I imagine it's going to get annoying on long trips. Especially considering that it's going to be sitting on about 3.5k at 110 with the 4.6's in.

Transmission's just a rebuilt narrowblock short-housing Mitsubishi 5-speed from a GE Scorpion I had sitting about. Clutch is a Daikin heavy-duty jobbie, it and the flywheel are from the same car I pulled the gearbox from. Diff's stock bar a 4.667:1 CW&P from a 1.8L manual '83 Express van, open centre and all.

List, everything that I want done for it to be finished:

Find another exhaust clamp
    Flywheel stone guard/dustcover thingamajig
    Re-solder the reverse sensor wiring (broke the wires off the sensor while I was screwing said sensor into the gearbox, FML)
    Wheel alignment (x34977634958735893475, didn't bother to keep track of where it was set when I did the tie rods so it wanders a bit)
    Front ride height
    Money
    Rego
    34ADM, then 36mm CV's/40mm Webers/Dellortos/Mikunis/whatever/2x32/36 on a factory downdraft manifold
    Locker
    Skids
    Starion struts, shortened, R31 shocks, lowered springs
    Starion brakes
    Fix rust
    Paint, will probably go with white
    14x7.5/8J Hoshinoes, 185/60's

How the car sits, as of 1/10/12:

Engine: Rebuilt JDM 2.0L G52B, balanced everything, No.3 works copy cam, beehive valve springs, head shaved 1mm and ported, standard 2.6 carb+manifold, unknown 4-2-1 extractors, 18" hotdog, 2" back to a standard rear muffler

Drivetrain: GE Scorpion short KM132, Daikin HD clutch, 4.667:1 diff gears

Suspension: Falcon springs, Monroe shocks (Chrysler Centura, front), GE/GH Scorpion Lovells Low springs, Monroe shocks (rear), red poly bushes (because red goes faster )

Brakes: Stock, new Repco pads

Wheels: 14x6 +17 (f), 14x7 +0 ®, 185/65 tyres

Interior: Momo dished tiller/HKB bosskit, Panasonic head deck, 6" Sony speakers

Body Work: GE/GH guards/beaver panel/bonnet/indicators

Estimated Power: I dunno. Allowing for intake restriction and drivetrain losses, maybe 100rwhp? Feels similar to a bigport KE70, has heaps more torque though.
    Last edited by spiderman; 25th May 2013 at 06:31 PM. Reason: 4:20am, got some details mixed up.

Veteran
    Name
    Josh
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Small update, haven't really done anything to it as I've been doing other shit.
    Cut the front springs, looks OK, needs another 15mm out of it though.
    Reverse light switch replaced with a new one.

Pics. Taken on a potato phone, but still:

Video... Annoying crackly fart noise is annoying. Must fix that somehow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2