Name
    Kevin
    State
    ZH
    Country
    The Netherlands

Default Redline taillight questions

Hi guys,

I got my hands on a set of redline taillights with centerpiece and numberplate lights for my Levin hatchback and I have a couple questions on which I haven't been able to find answers yet. So if anyone can answer them for me or point me in the right direction that would be awesome!

So here goes with regards to installing the lights, this should be simple but the questions I have are:
    - Is it correct that I can use the wiring of the existing taillights and use less bulb per side?
    - Do I have to drill extra holes in the back to fit the centerpiece?
    - And what about the numberplate lights? The units each have two studs. Do I need to drill holes for there as well or is this not necessary as I don't really want to drill extra holes...
    - And in regards to the wiring for the numberplates lights. I now have the lights in the bumper so I guess I just have to reroute the wiring from behind the bumper via the inside of the car to the numberplate lights?

Also the plastic lenses of the taillights are a bit dull and have really lights scratches, now I've read that you can make them shine more by rubbing an plain A4 paper over them. Anyone who has tried this? Or anyone has some other good tips?

Thanks in advance!
    ADM AE86 Levin

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

yup same wiring minus one bulb, not sure about drilling for the center piece, yep you do have to drill for the number plate lights another way around it could be to remove the studs on the lights and double sided tape or sikaflex them on i guess, for wiring you should be able to get a park light from your rear tail lights somewhere or slice into your existing bumper lights.
    levin86 here has redlines, in his build thread you'll find his install.
    as for rubbing A4 paper to polish them up i've never heard of that, give it a go? better off use some super fine wet sand paper like 3000 grit and then respray them with clear coat, will come up new

Name
    Tan
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

if you have an ADM bumper with the license plate lights, you could just omit the center jdm lights avoiding the cutting and grinding the holes.

Name
    Phirom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Centerpiece you should be able to put on without having to drill anything. From memory there are those removable push tab thingos you can remove..if you don't want to dill holes for them to lock into.

Also depends if you have the correct license plate lights. The aus bumper and centerpiece lights are different. I found mine off an AE82, and i hear AW11's have the same.

Here's some pics of how I did mine.

There's also original wiring for the centerpiece lights already in the aus loom behind the license plate area. So you don't need to rewire the bumper lights to reach the centerpiece lights.

Hope that all made sense.

Name
    Kevin
    State
    ZH
    Country
    The Netherlands

Thanks for the info so far guys!

I have the original lights that come with the redline centerpiece (they look like the ones on the picture)
    I'll have a look and see if there is wiring already installed on my ar as well behind the numberplate area as my car should be ADM as well.

To be honest I did not expect to have to drill anything in the rear end of my beloved car haha but I do want to mount everything properly so I'll have to.
    Will have to treat the holes to prevent rusting though
    ADM AE86 Levin

Name
    Byron
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Hey Kevin,
    I have done the same thing. i will be mounting my number plate lights inbetween the lights as well. Plugging up the holes in the bumper and running aftermarket light assemblies in the tuck holes of the redline center garnish. by removing the two center locating pins from the redline piece it will give me two extra holes. i will use them to run the wiring to the number plate lights without having to drill out. i am the same, dont wanna butcher my car if i dont have to. so i intend to 3M the aftermarket light assemblies to the car and avoid any drilling.
    cheers,

4AGE Blacktop Build in progress.

SQ Enineering