Thread: cooling issue in ae86 with sr20det

Name
    shaun
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

Default cooling issue in ae86 with sr20det

ok guys need to get ready for round two and this thing is starting to really piss me off. i have replaced the thermostat with a genuine nissan one, replaced waterpump with a genuine one, took out the alloy rad and replaced it with the original sr one no diffrence maop its boiling hotde surei replaced coolant with a 50 50 ratio. made a thermo fan shroud for the thermo. running a second bleeder off the plenum to help bleed system. if i feel the bottom hose or tank the water is cold if i touch the top its boiling hot dose this mean my thermostat is not opening still i dont get it im running a second bleeder and all. any ideas guys.

Name
    Steve
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Not sure on SR20 but 4age thermo stat needs water flowing around it for it too open. Hence the bypass pipe, its the way that system is designed, i can only assume the SR20 is similar and if you have the thermo stat in backwards or only cool water on the important side that stat will never open, i suggest you seek if there's was/is a stock bypass that may have been avoided during the install, other then that you have a water flow issue which would be either pump related or the flow of the water thru the engine is severely disrupted preventing the water from flowing normally in and out of the radiator in a pressurized system.

The fact you have changed so much and still have issues lends me to say your water flow is interrupted and you haven't fixed it yet.

I know nothing about SR20 water system but you have a water flow problem i feel.

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Try running it with no thermo to eliminate if the bypass is missing or the thermo is not working/backwards

Name
    Tan
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Can you describe what your cooling issues are and how you are measuring it? That might help with sugestions on troubleshooting.