Thread: 4age 16v Cam Discussion..

Name
    Christopher
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

Default 4age 16v Cam Discussion..

Hey guys, im running a 4age 16v small port, with 20v Quad throttle Bodies, an adaptronic ecu and brand new valve springs..

Im just wandering what cam shafts you have put in your 4age, and where a good place to get them online is, without the killer $800 per shaft price.. Im keen to run an exhaust and Intake shaft, and decided to ask some questions before hand..
    Last edited by chrisfindlay; 16th May 2012 at 02:48 PM.

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

They aren't an online business, but maybe try calling Clive Cams down here in Melbourne? Just google Clive Cams and you'll find the number. They have 4age 16v billet blanks and can grind pretty much any profile you like and aren't rediculously expensive either. I've always used them, and never heard of any issues from anyone else either.

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

you will need to look at a shim under bucket setup for cams that big.......they will need lots of revs all the time to keep them in the power band, which your shims wont enjoy. Remember you may have a cam that has a powerband of 5000-9000rpm but without the bottom end to support that kind of revs you will just grenade your engine in no time.

its pretty much useless fitting aftermarket cams without timing them correctly, cam gears will be needed to get the most out of the tuning of the cams.

id be looking at a 270-280 range cam with 9mm lift........going over this is starting to get into serious territory, do you have the bottom end and head work to support a cam larger than this??

have you checked out Kelford cams, great range and very affordable........look at spending what you spent on cams on the supporting mods to get the best out of them

Veteran
    Name
    John
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

exactly what i was about to reply

Name
    Akio
    State
    Other
    Country
    Japan

this ^^^
    the cams your talking about, you dont just chuck in "and she'll be right mate" you will need a fairly comprehensive list of bits to support said cams. for 1 you will need at least 12:1 comp (the more the better), the ability to rev to 9000+ RPM and supporting mods. its not cheap, easy or quick to build. and thats just the engine... you will also need to upgrade diff gears and shorter gear in the gearbag.
    would i build an engine like this again? in a heartbeat. but i have a clear goal i want to acheive and knew what i was getting into before i started.

heres one i prepared earlier (FYI this is my car and engine delazy will confirm specs)

Last edited by xero; 13th May 2012 at 07:18 PM.

Name
    Jamie
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Last year and this year I have been involved with some serious flow benching of 16v heads, the differing amount of porting on these heads varied BUT one thing became clear, it was very hard top get these heads to flow at high lifts, there is no point putting cams in that have say 11.0mm lift if the head isn't flowing up there, get the head modified, get it flowed then select your cams from this data, if the head only flows to 9.0mm then goes flat, well theres your cam lift.
    Hachiroku since 1994

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedSpirit View Post
    When i grow up I wanna be just like Uncle Frak Frak.

Veteran
    Name
    John
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Wiseco pistons, treated smallport rods, ARP bolts, balanced crank, lots of port work, oversized valves, tomei 304/296 11/10.5mm cams, blacktop quads, custom extractors and 2.5" exhaust

because i know ppl will ask when they hear it....

Name
    Christopher
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

That seems like an amazing build, what sought of power is she making?

So far ive just got a stock 16v 4age small port, but ive just purchased 20v silver top Quads on it, an adaptronic ecu, coil packs, t3 pulleys and adjustable cam-gears, hks timing belt, vacuum manifold, and some other bits and pieces, but I will be ordering everything else I need shortly to get this thing running like a dream.

The engine will be going into a shop when I go away for a month for work. In that time the engine will be getting fully rebuilt, and having everything put in, fully tuned etc, plus im giving the mechanic (Who is a 4age nut) money to do what ever else he deems nessecary to get me the power I want..

Looking to get 250hp (I know its a long shot but we all have to have goals) while keeping it N/A..

I have seen an old jap drifter with more than 250hp in his 16v big port but saying that he had like 6k worth of internals and countless hours of work..

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

good luck with that......250 at the fly or at the wheels???

got your dry sump setup?

i think you should be aiming for bout 80 hp less than that figure. Do you realise the maintenance that will have to go into that engine......and id dare say it would be TOTALLY un drivable on the street.

im just waiting for someone to say....just put a BEAMS in it and drive it......cause it will have the power you want in near standard form with out all the $$ and headaches

Name
    Christopher
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

At the fly.. 250 at the wheels would be impossible..

Im not worried about the cost in the slightest, ive got little goals here and there and right now 250 from an N/A 4age is one of them..

Im also thinking about putting in the brian crower 1.8l Stroker kit..

I wouldnt run a beams, if I did a turbo conversion, it would be a 3rz, mates a mechanic, and he was telling me about a 3rz running stock internals, head etc with a bolt on turbo pushing 400hp.. So if you put the effort into internals and all the other jazz it would fly..

Also im on my P's...

Looking into a dry sump as we speak..

Cheers for the input though, good to have a second opinion on stuff..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast