Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 4ABHGE's AE82 Corolla Twin Cam of WIN! (sometimes)

Name
    Justin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

IMO theyre way better than any other AE8x grille...

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Just getting ready for 2 or 3 track days coming up.

Got tyres fitted up, front studs fitted in (waiting on rears, got the wrong ones), spacers and a few more little things...#

also...

Wheel bearing issue just turned out to be a loose nut on the driveshaft
    I tightened it up and it should be fine. Only thing is that an oil leak showed up today leaking from my drivers side diff seal...oil all under the car. Guess what's now on the to do list for next week...

Also swapped the dizzy over from the sx as it doesn't leak and fixed the timing, from what i can tell the power is more linear and responsive now. I put some engine covers back on to neaten it up and hide some of those little leaks too hahaha#
    Winton PB: 1:49.5990 (With BHG)

Name
    Justin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Went up to Winton today with a few mates, had a ball!

Passing GTR's and WRX's and getting TX3 drivers mad.

I had an issue with the R888's, not only was the weather cold, but they're just too big for the car and i couldn't warm them up regardless of what tyre pressure I ran. This caused them to be really snappy and unpredictable which made the car a handful all day... it was pretty fun though
    The A1RM's pulled up better than anything I have ever experienced, felt great braking later than all sorts off cars!

But, I wasn't happy with my suspension setup, the front is rolling around too much compared to the rear and the grip of the tyres and brakes is too high for the springs so the nose is diving and the car is rolling too much through the corners for my liking.

I was just starting to gel with the car but decided to call it a day in session 3 due to doing in my rear wheel bearing and a few mates having some bad luck of their own.

Anyway, here are my session times.

Session 1:2:14.2800 1:52.7850 1:49.3340 1:48.4470 2:00.0830 1:50.4730 1:48.6590

Session 2:2:05.2700 2:00.4480 1:55.0730 2:02.7710 2:00.6170 1:53.9150 1:50.4480

Session 3:2:07.6110 2:01.9410 2:20.0790 1:52.9330 1:49.1490 1:48.7830 1:47.9560

Now to fix broken stuff and get ready for the 16th!!

Gunner

Such a cool little corolla.

Name
    Justin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Thanks man #

Name
    Sean
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Leahey

Never get over how clean this is man!

Name
    Justin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Thanks Sean!!

So like totally yeah...

Also, found the little biatch knock coming from my rear drivers side caliper - everything is tight but the top half wobbles, slider pin things worn maybe?

Oddly enough, The new spring rates are 10/8k whereas the ones before them are 6/4k. They seem to be working alot better with the car and the shocks, and surprisingly have a very comfortable ride (dafuq?) the car is more planted, stable, easier to drive and much more predictable on the limit of grip. Very happy with them!

Name
    Justin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Crappy dirty pics of lowness

Name
    Justin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Another day at winton!

Got there as soon as the gates opened at 7 and were the first to pick a spot. Swapped the tyres over and just did usual maintenance checks as per usual to get ready for the day.

Sitting purdy

There was a slight mix up with the groupings so I only got an outlap and inlap in the first session when I took a friend around but immediately I could tell that the car felt very different to last time, alot more grip and predicability. Brought it in and refined my tyre pressures, and found my oil cap was leaking because I didnt tighten it properly lol

Got the full second session. The group had a mix of cars, but got held up by an XR8 and Mitsu Starion. Unfortunately after my hot lap my fire extinguisher came loose and was flying around the cabin so I called it a sesh...Considering I was aiming for a 46er I was stoked when I found out I had done a 1:45.7

In the third session I further refined my tyre pressures, adjusted the rear shocks to an increase oversteer tendency and then removed the passenger seat because racecar. Also, I had a massive powersteering leak so my dad cut his sock and put it over my PS reservoir LOLLOLL it did the job.Ended up pushing a bit harder but the brake fluid was going spongey and lacked feel.
    The session ended and I pulled a 1:45.2 another improvement!!

hardparking at the racetrack

dad's sock ahahah

because racecar.

The car was feeling great, the suspension was feeling spot on but the brake fluid was letting the car down. So we gave it a quick bleed at the front and that gave me so much more confidence. I took the car out in the last session and realised I didnt have to brake from turn 2 through the sweeper until the first hairpin! the car suspension was amazing. But the day was starting to cool and I thought I had less grip when in actual fact I was pushing the car harder than ever!

I finished the fourth session with a new PB of 1:44.4420 !!!! my jaw dropped when I was told and I couldnt wipe the smile off my face

It was an amazing day that was run quite smoothly, nobody had any big dramas and were all able to drive home. Thanks to OzRenault and MelbS15 for organizing the day, particularly OzRenault for giving me a spot, thanks!!

Here are my session times:

Session 1: 2:07.3700

Session 2: 2:03.8470 # 1:46.6950 # 1:47.2190 # 1:46.9760 # 1:45.7900 # 2:15.2810

Session 3: 2:19.6380 # 1:48.1490 # 1:46.0770 # 1:45.2730 # 1:45.5530 # 1:45.3980 # 1:45.9910

Session 4: 2:10.9650 # 1:49.3890 # 1:46.3310 # 1:44.8000 # 1:44.7940 # 1:44.4420 # 1:50.9360

Name
    Justin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

After stalling for such a long time, I thought that I should get the exhaust done.The exhaust setup I had previously was a fairly standard setup apart from the straight through xforce muffler with dodgy welds. This caused many exhaust leaks around those weld points... It was loud, droney and no better than standard, actually if anything it was probably worse.

So after making a few orders the mailman made a visit last week dropping off these two Magnaflow items. A High-Flow Cat Converter and a Straight through muffler both in 2.25 inch.

meow.

So I went about fitting them up at the exhaust shop. After getting quotes from many places and advice, I went to TrueFlow in Melton. Walked in and told them that I wanted a 2.25 mandrel system and ill supply cat and muffler etc etc.As I returned to collect the car, I found that they not only welded in the cat and muffler, but they also kinda remade my secondaries and flex pipe!! Not bad bit of work when they didnt even charge me a cent over what they quoted

I didnt end up going with a tip, I like how raw it looks as it is... lol

I took it for a spin right away and found the car to be less droney. When you are cruising I actually found it easier to talk and listen to my passeger than before, I wasnt yelling anymore hahaOnce you put your foot down it turns up to 11! I found that there is alot more response, torque and power! She even chirps easier in 2nd!

Obligatory fly by vid

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

really dig this.

So neat and honest, just a real cool looking car. Great stuff man.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast