Naldo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Default Victorian registration question

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. My name is Naldo.

Currently I'm trying to buy an AE92, but few years back, the seller just changed his engine.

But then, he never register it to vicroads.

My question is, how to register different engine to vicroads? AE92 engine is 4A-FS and he swap to 4A-GE 20V silvertop.

Engine code pretty much the same(it's from the same family 4A) and the difference is only at the number at the back.

What documents it needed?

Cheers guys. Appreciate it as always..

Name
    Dave
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

could be bad news.

to register an engine swap, first you need a receipt for the new motor.

then, you'll need to prove that it was available in the same body in an australian delivered car, and that all the emissions gear is the same.

if this isn't the case, you may need an engineers inspection which can be costly, around 650 dollars.

if the seller notifies vicroads of the new engine number before you buy it, you may be able to get a roadworthy and transfer it to your name without any hassle, but this is not failsafe.

all the best.

-dave

also has all the info, but sometimes hard to undrestand.

Name
    Naldo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Thanks Dave..

Try to read on vicroads but yeah it's hard to understand.

Well the there is 4AGE on AE93 which still the same body as AE92.

Fingers crossed because I just told the seller everything and he will do it tomorrow or Friday to vicroads..

Cheers..

Name
    Dave
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

shame its not already registered or else you could call up and change engine numbers over the phone as its still from 4A engine family... i doubt they will say much but would be good if you could get a receipt of purchase for the engine to cover you

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

pretty much as others have said, your best hope is getting a rwc mechanic that knows nothing about 4age's and only looks for engine numbers.
    another thing they may look for is if the ae92 SX corolla had bigger/vented etc brake setup and the stock cs or csi corolla didnt you need to upgrade your brakes to suit the larger motor
    eg. 1275 mini's had disc brakes from factory and every other mini had drums, when upgrading to the larger motor you have to fit disc brakes to keep it road worthy.
    you should call up vic roads and give them the engine number to make sure it has not been reported stolen too.

Senior Member Hen may possibly be a nut's Avatar
    Name
    Hen
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Unfortunately given the engine conversion, to get the car 100% legal it'll take a bit of work. Firstly you'll need an engineering certificate (depending on the car this may require alot of work, and in any case $800-1000 in paperwork), then a roadworthy so you can transfer rego to your name, then you'll have to go and change the engine number at Vicroads (easy, but you need a purchase receipt for the engine).

You could also just change the engine number at Vicroads and see if the whole thing flies through a roadworthy and keep quiet about the engine conversion. Apparently all roadworthy testers now have to send photo documentation of all tests to Vicroads, so they may be even stricter now too. Up to you to decide if it's worth it.

Personally I'd suggest looking for a AE92 gti (or sx or whatever came with a 4AGE) instead. The smallport is not that far behind a 20V for performance and saves you headaches.