Thread: 4age won't start

Name
    Richard
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

Default 4age won't start

Hey guys, I could really use some advice to save me spending more unnecessary money

Car model: 82 ke70 Panno -

Engine type: Smallport 16v 4AGE with EMS Stinger 4424 ECU

Problem: The car was running fine, then a month days ago i got about 7kms from home and after taking off from the lights the car just died, I couldn't get it started again, I got towed home and then a mechanic came out and said there was no spark. He claimed it was either the dizzy or the ignition module. I left it for about 2-3 hours and it started, got around the corner and down the road then it did the exact same thing. Could it be the ECU or maybe just the coil? It just dies, no spluttering at all. Would start when cold and maybe run for 5 minutes then just die, no coughs or splutters. I recently replaced the ignition coil and got an auto electrician to look at it, I'm pretty sure he looked over the fuses but could it be the crank angle sensor in the dizzy or perhaps something else?
    Last edited by Brokenships; 28th May 2012 at 07:11 PM.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Car conking out when warm is usually dizzy related...

Probe the (IGT/IGF can't remember which) when trying to crank to see if a signal is being sent to the ecu.

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Maybe the duodenum is acting up.

Do as Matt has said. It is possible that a wire is getting to hot and no longer making contact where it should, this happens with starter motor trigger. I would grab a multimeter and check the continuity of all dizzy wires and all the ignition/coil wires if it that's what you think it is.

Best way to check actually would be to unplug the coil lead from the dizzy and hold it to an earth on the car, the body or motor will do, and see if it arc's, that way you know if the problem is pre or post coil.

edit: Have you just bought this? I'd be hitting up the previous owner!
    Last edited by timbo; 28th May 2012 at 07:47 PM.

Name
    Richard
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

Yeah, my mate went over it with a multimeter and the previous owner is an auto electrician. He came down and went over it, he seemed to think it was the dizzy. It seemed that the ems ignitor was working intermittently so perhaps it could be the IGT or IGF cables. Right from the start I thought the CAS was a possibility from the start. It's just becoming a pain in the ass, I bought it almost 2 months ago and it worked for about 2 weeks...

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

If you were closer I could take a look, I've also got a smallport.

Name
    Ali
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

This picture here...
    I'm no expert by any means but, looks like oil leaking out of the dizzy.
    Remove the cap and check it out.
    My bigport did this one time, common issue.
    Replace the seal and off you go.

Also, is that the ignition module near the extractors?
    Might want to move it some place where it won't heat soak so quick..
    The wiring looks like it could do with a tidy up, looks like it hasn't been finished off.
    Spit tube, heat shield and maybe some exhaust heat wrap.

Nice Pano man, sort her out!
    Last edited by Futo_gt86; 28th May 2012 at 08:26 PM.

Name
    Richard
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

Thanks anyway Tim! Yeah, The O rings in the Dizzy would have hardened because of the heat thus causing it to leak. I'll try that tomorrow and see how i go, hopefully it's that simple! I've heat wrapped the extractors and moved the coil away from them when i got it started, but then it wouldn't start so i thought it wasn't earthing properly and so i moved it back and it still didn't start. The wiring is terrible and it's first on my list to do as soon as I get it running. Thanks Ali! It's my first car and my pride and joy. Just pains me to see her not running
    Last edited by Brokenships; 28th May 2012 at 08:28 PM.

Name
    Ali
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Nah, not the coil, the box strapped to the strut tower...is the the EMS ignition module?

The Dizzy O ring is a little more complicated then that, there are some guides on here and toymods on how to replace it.
    CLUB4AG

Toymods - same write up, but need to be a member to read

Mark the position of your dizzy, and rotor button before you pull it out.
    But yeah, start off by taking the cap off and check out the condition of the rotor button and the terminals inside the cap.

Can you take a picture of the coil for me, show me the earth for it.
    In fact check all your earths.
    Last edited by Futo_gt86; 28th May 2012 at 08:43 PM.

Name
    Richard
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

I apologize, I didn't read over it properly, yeah that's the ignitor, the coil is right underneath. I've looked through dizzy rebuild threads, it doesn't look too hard, but I may need tools that I don't have. Yeah, I'd do that anyway. I'm in no way a mechanic so you're not insulting me. I would rather get all the advice I can get and if it's too difficult pay to get it done rather than stuff around myself. Everything else seems to be earthed properly, I believe for the coil it's a bracket that it bolts to then that bolts to the strut tower, I have no real good photos of the coil at the moment and it's probably too dark, but i could try if my rather basic description didn't help?

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yeah, dizzt does need a new o-ring. Very simple job, but so important to mark it and put it back in with out jumping any teeth. Don't need any tools other than a 12mm spanner and a pen.

After looking at some of the photos in the sale thread, the dizzy looks like it is maxed out clockwise, could be because it is the only way to get near the right ignition timing. It might have nothing to do with the current issue but it doesn't seem right to me, it should be about half way so you can advance or retard the timing.

I would read up on setting Top Dead Centre, TDC, and take the dizzy out and realign it to TDC with the crank and cams. Easy way to find TDC is to turn the motor clockwise until the notch in the crank pulley lines up with 0 on the timing marks. Take the cam gear cover off and make sure the little dots in them line up with the pressed lines on the back plate, this is TDC. To set the dizzy to TDC you line up the dots on the shaft and housing and carefully put it back in with out moving the teeth.
    Last edited by timbo; 28th May 2012 at 08:56 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast