Name
    Jon
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Default Cam timing!

Hi all,

After a bit of 4age manual reading and help from 70XIN and Timbo Cam and ignition timing was spot on.

Timbo and I took my car for a drive and it ran and drove perfectly, while pulling up to a set of lights the engine just shut down and would start..

After pulling off my Cam covers and making sure it was TDC, I noticed that it appears my Intake Cam is nearly 180 degrees out. I made sure it was TDC 4 times to be sure i wasnt being a sped.

Belt is still tight and I can't see any marks where it was slipping. The odd thing is this is the SECOND time this has happened.

I can not see anything interfering with the belt or that could be making it skip, there was not weird noises it just shut down.

The only thing I can think is that the Tensioner has moved(was/is still done up super tight). I also do NOT have the little spring for the Tensioner could this be the reason?

Any help in why this would be occurring is greatly appreciated.

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Wow, wtf! You need that spring for the tensioner , also take the the cam pulley off and make sure it still has a knock pin.

Name
    Jon
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I haven't pulled the cam pulley off but can see a knock pin - will try and pull it off either tonight or tomorrow night.

Will be picking up a tensioner spring tomorrow night as well.

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Sounds good. Such a pain when this stuff happens, hopefully its an easy fix. Still such a weird thing to happen...

Ok
    Name
    Seamus
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

The spring isn't really necessary though - alot of people actually remove it because they worry that it can come off and chew up their timing belt (club4ag and toymods). At the end of the day, he still has good tension once the engine has stopped and the belt has skipped, THAT is the wack shit.

This one has got me stumped. Has anyone heard of a magic timing belt that stretches when running? Haha. But seriously, i can't think of any logical answer to this.
    4AGE & 7AGE Forged Connecting Rods - Lightweight Flywheels - And Much More

^ Clicky clicky!

Ok
    Name
    Seamus
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

When it skips, are you checking the timing belt tightness between the tensioner and the intake cam gear? Because everywhere else will be tight no matter what. Just checking you're not doing a herp-derp.
    4AGE & 7AGE Forged Connecting Rods - Lightweight Flywheels - And Much More

^ Clicky clicky!

Name
    Clay
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

so nothing's loose/worn/fucked? balencer/cam/oil/water pump pullys, bearings ect ect

i would check all this without the belt on.
    theres somthing broken. it's a fairly simple mechanical component. there must be somthing up.
    i'd pull everthing off and inspect it.

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

when i had my 16v rebuilt with everything new, standard cams from a 4age expert, supposedly all timed up and TDC already, ready for a drop in replacement job, after a few cranks of the engine it wouldn't start..timing was spot on...more cranks and then belt jumped a few tooth..didn't release this until a week later though hahah

lined it up again and never did it again afterwards.. so not sure what cause it but yeah has happened.. we could only think it was the tensioner so we made sure the tensioner was tight tight! and seemed to help

now i think about it, the brand new timing belt must of stretch while cranking the engine which jumped a few tooth, after a reline and made sure its tight, was ok..or it was just loose to begin with
    dose

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

All the spring is meant to do is give you correct tension during installation.

Name
    Jon
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

70XIn – Checked and it’s the same tension all the way around – will triple check since I’m prone to herp=derping

Ke_70 – stock cam gear, new water/oil pump, tensioner and belt – balancer seems fine as well as bearings

Will be pulling it apart tomorrow night to see what/where if anything is causing it to skip

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast