Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: SR20DE+T KE70 in the buildzzz

Name
    Simon
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Default SR20DE+T KE70 in the buildzzz - ROLL CAGE IN!!!!

Hey all

got sick of not drifting and the 32 is for sale... so thought i';d get stuck into building a cheap rolla up, I have to say that seeing Leigh pidwells car in action over the past year has made me want to get one, I battled him at Drift Fest last year and it was just damn quick for the basic set up it was! So i thought yeah im gonna do it lol So i started gathering bits and pieces and everything has been done so far by myself or with the help of Dec's from Garage 7 in Mt Barker and soon to be All Type Crash once i get the body work finished.

the story goes like this. I got a stock KE, after some bitch slammed into my daily AE92 writing that off. Needed a car for work hence the stock KE, thatr lasted around 2 weeks before i blew the HG on the shitty 4k motor... so hooked up a cheap S14 SR20DE halfcut and put that in there, but i thought well since i have the whole half cut i mas as well put the rack, power steer, crossmember and susp in too.. so i did all that and drove it NA SR for a while... still stock looking with 13's and rear blinds lol... put some good 15 inch tyres on it and took it out to lala for some skids and the thing lasted 2 laps before breaking the shaft that the thrust bearing carrier runs on.... sigh... engine out job to fix since with the SR in the rolla... there aint ANY room to get to bellhousing bolts.

It was at this point i decided f**k it... turbo it and do a bit of a build up.

So here are the specs so far with some pics to go with it.

Susp: S13 coilovers with AE86 tops, custom length with TRD blue shocks and a 6kg spring, custom length LCA's, bump steer adjusters, rack spacers Rear consits of TRD blue 8 way shocks and a 4.5kg spring, adjustable panhard rod and swaybars front and rear. RE001's all round and yeah... handles AWESOME.

Motor: S14 SR20DE+T stock internals with turbo gear bolted on, Power Enterprise PE1420 turbo, braided lines, Exedy 5 puck clutch, B&M Oil cooler and filter relocator kit, Greddy intercooler

Drivetrain: RB20 Gearbox with SR bellhousing, custom shifter location, R31 skyline diff housing and centre, currently a 3.7 will prob change to 4.1, unsure yet, mini spool to go with it, Shall be running a Twin caliper set up with one circuit for normal brakes and other for handbrake only.

Other specs and stuff to come/go on the car:
    Hydraulic handbrake custom made, brake bias valve, water sprayer kit, custom s13 modified knuckes, R33 4 pot brakes with 4 stud rotors. and some BIG wheels.

now for pics

The dirty looking S14 NA motor, installed and how it looked for a few months

Starting custom coilovers the ultimate Toyota and nissan interbreeding...

RE001's are THE SHIT

Put a cleaner rocker cover on

had a decent amount of lock, will have a LOT more soon with modded knuckles tho

Starting Stripping car....

Dirty 31 diff...

Firewall mods being carried out, not yet finished

Clutch and oil line on

Turbo on, oil return drilled and tapped, feed line on

Thats about it currently... waiting on a few more parts and then ive got some more work to do this week on it. Pics coming soon.
    Last edited by Simon-KE70; 19th January 2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: change title

Name
    Simon
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Been busy today, did the firewall and welded that up... took me forever cause the stupid gassless mig i was using kept overheating, not to mention the foam high up under the dash caught on fire... lol dutched the whole car out with smoke thats for sure... I was pretty certain i got rid of it all before i started but i must have missed some.

heres the finished but un painted modded firewall.

i'll prime and paint it later and motor back in tomorrow.

Name
    Simon
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

ok more progress! firewall sealed up with silastic, primed and painted then motor back in... and yeah my measurements paid off cause it fits perfectly and theres heaps of room behind the motor now... joys!

turbo outlet and dump pipe clearance to firewall looks to be very close... hope i can get around that, in hindsight i should have cut that section out also but oh well.. i'll make it work.

hmmm update time.

got the rear end pulled out, theres a huge difference between the diff's and its going to be a lot of work to make it fit. i'll get around to it soon i guess lol.

Anyway, got the bigger brakes on, i plan on doing circuit work as well as drift so why not stop well also...

Got a hydro handbrake made up also, mate of mine did it for me. not quite yet finished but just working out the positioning and so forth

bought some rims also, may still get another pair in 15X10's but for now these are 15X8's -4's and fit well.

Name
    Simon
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

FEW more updates.... cage is booked in to be done, and i've started on the diff,,, its a nightmare and not as easy as i thought. lol .

too wet today! not to worry.

started mocking up twin caliper set up and making brackets for it, got one side tack'ed up and ready to fully weld. will come out good i think!

ended up finishing my diff, with the help of Drinkies also. I dont reccommend doing something like this with a car on axle stands thats for sure as you ideally need a hoist to get the diff in and out to double check measurements and so on.

havent done much over xmas and new years period but today i decided to get busy, pretty much doing all the little jobs that ive been leaving to last, cleaning up and redoing a few little things here and there.

started on fuel system but ran out of fittings, so that will wait.

diff is also finished too... real effort and i wont be doing it again in a hurry lol, drinkies ended up helping me in the end to get it spot on.

anyway heres some more pics

relocated fuse box... its in the inner guard now, right out the way and makes room for cooler pipes, battery going in the back.

the almost finished diff, just need to weld sway bar mounts on and then paint it up. Got a 4.1 ratio with mini spool going in too, cause stock 3.7 diff is gay,

Close up, showing stuff.... yeah stuff.

Fuel system, cclearly not finished. Bosch motorsport fuel pump. should do the job

and a sneak peek as the lock to come.... Myself and Dec's from Garage 7 are working on a set of modified knuckles which will give a lot more lock, and less binding due to increased travel. Basically they will be made to order, much like jap spindles, and cheaper then jap items considering the rates these days... All professionally tig welded and braced up.

Name
    Simon
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

all copy and pasted, buit thats where im up to as of today....

cooler pipes, exhaust, paint and cage to go yet.

Sherlock

Yew! Looks the goods Simon.

Name
    Simon
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

looks like shit atm really lol

but the potential is there. i really dont know why im building yet another car up... as ive done quite a few now (3 ae86's 1 of which was a ground up build, a cefiro and a skyline all built up) but the KE is a combination of all the spare parts i had in my shed, and time to kill plus a desire to build something again lol.

Name
    Ben
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

good shit simon,it'll be awesome so see that thing peeling at lala. Still going to street it once its built?

Name
    Simon
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

maybe on the odd occasion but i doubt it lol... will just get defected

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

looks good mate,
    did you shorten the diff at all? (had a quick read but couldnt see)
    if not the superlites are going to be a bitch to fit under the rear, i had a hard time with my 14x7.5-4s with the same diff.
    the conversion looks good, very similar to mine
    keep up the good work mate

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast