Thread: BLACKTOP REBUILD

Name
    Daniel
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Default BLACKTOP REBUILD

Hey so I've bought a blacktop for the Sprinter and am planning to replace my broken 16 valve in the coming months.

I want to give the engine a good freshen up before putting it in. I just want to rebuild it to standard specs with some extra security.

The engine was removed from car with no known problems, was running well at the time, and is complete including ECU and loom.

I am compiling a list of all the parts I have purchased and items I will need for the rebuild.

I'm just after some advice to see if I've thought of everything, any help with filling me in with anything I've forgotten would be greatly appreciated.

PURCHASED:

FLY WHEEL BOLTS
    ROD BOLTS
    HEAD STUD KIT
    WATER PUMP
    TIMING BELT TENSIONER
    TOYOTA SEAL KIT
    IDLER PULLEY
    TRD HEAD GASKET 0.8mm

PARTS NEEDED:

VVT PULLEY
    OIL PUMP ASSY
    BEARINGS
    PISTON RINGS(PISTONS AND PINS IF REQUIRED)
    TIMING BELT
    NEW BELTS
    SPIGOT BEARING 6001-RS or 6001-2RS

WATER RELOCATION KIT
    COP'S AND CONNECTORS
    COP MOUNT PLATE
    DIZZY BLANKING PLATE
    VELOCITY STACKS
    THROTTLE CABLE
    ADAPTRONIC

-I'm having trouble locating an oil pump assembly and VVT pulley, if anyone can point me in the right direction?
    -Also are piston ring kits sold in different sizes like the pistons or are they 'one size fits all' across the different piston sizes and where to get OEM items?
    -And finally if anyone has bought an OEM Toyota gasket kit, does it include the necessary seals for the head or is it a separate kit?

Anyway it's late and the terrible movie about werewolves is over so I'm going to bed any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

The oem kit gasket kit has everything internal to the engine inside it.... The oil pump you can buy new from toyota still and last time i grabbed one they had them in stock, but if you check the gears and if they are good you can reuse it.

Hit up sam q for his relocation kit, velocity stacks and gasket kit (he would prob still have them in stock) and i'm sure he can probably source an oil pump too.

Also if you want an adaptronic, i purchased one off 70xin a while back which i'm thinking i won't use, wired / tuned for 7age20v blacktop already, which should plug straight into your setup... so if you want it shoot me a pm.

Look forward to seeing more of this build...

Name
    Mathew
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

you dont need the vvt pully they are sweet to reuse as with the oil pump just pull it apart and clean it check for wear on the gears if there is wear buy tome toda oil pump gears the genuine gasket set will do the motor from top to bottom so head is all included dont worry about that

pistons rings come in sizes std=81mm, .5mm=1/2mm oversize 81.5mm, 1mm=1mm oversize 82mm so you have 3 sizes get your bores checked and a light hone if they are fucked get the next size
    Hastings make a good replacement ring the sizes are 1.2mm top 1.5mm 2nd and 3mm oil and for a good price

if you are going to run an aftermarket rod bolt like arp get the rods closed and honed otherwise you will have issues but its probably a good idea to get it done anyway with fresh bolts

i hope this helped
    the dyno pull to 300rwkw

BT20v is making 300rwkw like i said i would without nitrous so now its time for some spray and see if she will run a 10s or less

Name
    Daniel
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Hey thanks heaps for the help.

So my list is pretty well complete? is there anything else I will need for the rebuild and/or the conversion?

Apparently the VVT pulley was a bit noisy but still working on the engine when it came out, that's why I was looking at replacing it, I have a mate who's a parts interpreter chasing up the parts I haven't got yet for me today, I'll see what he turns up but any idea's where I'd track one down?

I'll wait until it's apart to check the piston and bearing sizes before ordering anything.

Is it warranted getting the rotating gear balanced, or is overkill on a pretty well standard engine?

Yep was planning to email Sam today to chase up the RWD parts.

Thanks again.

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

As Matt politely said I can supply some of the bits for you, I have your email and will answer there
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.

Veteran
    Name
    Jake
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

If you end up getting a seal kit which would include HG just get head shaved a bit, or get some aftermarket pistons
    "Not all commodore drivers are wankers, but all wankers drive commodores"

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I wouldn't bother with after market pistons unless you are planning on running a higher comp ratio than 11:1. With my rebuild i got my machiner to supply hastings rings / king bearings for me for around $130 odd.

Balancing is one of those things I did as it wasn't too exy whilst apart, but impossible to do later without starting over again.

Name
    Daniel
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yeah not bothering on pistons, Trying to keep El-stocko at this stage, have a ordered a TRD 0.8mm HG.

How common are problems within the head, such as worn valve guides and valves, are they one of those things that just aren't worth touching unless you have a problem with them?

And is there any other recommended work be done up in the head whilst it's apart?

Cheers for all the help.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Most of the oil consumption issues on the 20vs are valve stem / guide related. Blacktop heads flow really well outta the factory especially in turbo applications.

Name
    Trent
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

When you get the head reco'd they'll adjust the valve clearances properly, and she'll pur like a kitten as long as it's balanced.
    Things like head studs, rod bolts, oil pump are just a waste unless the stock items are worn. Why get a 0.8mm HG ? I don't know, thats twice as thick as my Cometic at 0.4mm, and the cometic was off the shelf for $109. Just match up your ports when putting it together to keep it flowing nicely.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast