Thread: Conversion questions

Name
    Daniel
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Default Conversion questions

Hey I'm halfway though my blacktop conversion, just after some guidance.

- I am trying to decide if I want to go manual rack or keep my factory power steering. It really doesn't bother me either way, I do prefer driving manual rack, but can I retain my power steering and adapt to the 20v motor, I had a quick look and the mounts on the block look the same, but can it done or am I better off just going manual rack?

- If I go manual rack I'm lead to believe KE70 rack mounts straight in? Is this true? Do I need to change or modify anything? I understand they have very minute less lock but any difference with putting it in?

- And lastly for now, will my 16v pulley's fit on my 20v? My 20v didn't come with any so wondering if they're interchangeable?

So anyway if you can help me out it is greatly appreciated.

Dan.

Name
    Tom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

There is some stuff I'm certain about so i'll give you answers to that, but will mark stuff with a maybe otherwise:

1- I assume you are talking about an ae86 with factory powersteering? If so, you should be able to keep power steering pump and bracket from the ae86 and mount it to the 20v (providing clearance at the head area is not much different which should be fine and that you use a rwd 4age crank pulley for the correct belt offset)

2- If you go manual rack, I cant say a ke70 will fit but what I do know is the cross member has larger mounts for a power steering rack (manual rack is slimmer, however Im sure there are oversize bushing kits on the market that can sort this out for you). I know that you will also need a small shaft extension piece or a manual rack steering collumn, but I cant remember since its been a while since looking at this.

3- Pulleys... which ones? Crank pulley from the rwd 4age 16v as stated in 1 is required for the pws to line up. Water pump pulley from a rwd 16v 4age will work if you use a rwd water pump, otherwise fwd pump with fwd pulley from any fwd 4age will do (as long as correct pump is used with correct pulley, this will not change the line up to the crank pulley).
    1983 AE86 ADM rust spec goodness track car build - end of the road
    1984 AE86 Silver ADM mk2 daily build - SOLD
    1984 AE86 ADM granny car daily now 4AGZE - SOLD
    1983 AE86 ADM Engine Conversion Slut - SOLD
    2002 IS200 6spd - new daily in progress
    1986 AE86 JDM GT-Apex Levin Notchback ready to roll......

Name
    Daniel
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Sorry I copied and pasted from my build thread whilst on my phone. Yep it's a JDM AE86, and I'm removing a 16v and swapping to a blacktop 20v.

-Yes T3 make an adapter so you can use the power steering mounts with a manual rack without changing the cross member. But I need an extension or I will have to swap the whole steering column?

The other issue I'm thinking about is the vacuum lines that run from the pump to the throttle body. One I have no idea what they are or do, I'm assuming they could be something to do with an idle up function. So I'm unsure if it will work with 20v idle up(If that's what their for) or if I can just block them up and forget about them.

-My 20v came with no pulleys at all, so I was hoping to use the 16v crank and water pump pulleys. I'm am retaining the standard FWD water pump on the 20v. Using all of the pulleys will ensure the PWS and other pulleys will line up. I've heard the timing marks on 16v and 20v crank pulleys are slightly different, I was looking at the 16v today and I can't even see timing marks on the crank pulley.