Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Name
    Ollie
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default Ae86 coupe compliance-tail lights

I recently purchased an 86 coupe, and in he process of getting it complied, but have been pulled up because the rear lenses on the tail lights don't have any ADR stamps etc, so they won't pass compliance without doing a photometric test, to test the brightness etc. the compliance guy said he could pass them if I can't get an old test result from someone else, otherwise I will have to get these tested myself which will be more $$. Can anyone help out?
    Cheers

Name
    Ollie
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Also, if someone can help me out, I need a drivers seat in good condition, and my horn doesn't work, and I have no idea what to be checking for to get it fixed. A mate whos an electrician tested with his multimeter the circuit at the steering wheel, and that seemed fine, so it's between the there and the horn itself that is letting me down. Does it have a relay or just a fuse?

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Fuse I think, just google and see what comes up.

As for tail lights, wtf? I have never heard that before, what are you running? The compliance people must be hard arses.

Name
    Matt
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Australia

Ollie, I've just gone through the compliance process for my coupe and nothing was mentioned at all about the the tail lights. Here is a link to the details of my compliance experience.

My car is a 1985 model and only needed an L01 compliance plate in order to get a roadworthy. Really, the only things I needed to change were the seatbelts and change the park lights because the Japanese parkers are orange. I don't know if things would be different in NSW but surely not. I would absolutely not use the guy who is feeding you this bullshit as I have a few friends in the importing industry who bring in all sorts of import cars and I've never heard any of them ever mention such a test. I could be wrong but I've imported two vehicles myself in Qld and didn't even know a photometric test even existed until you mentioned it. My car didn't even require side intrusion bars or a catalytic converter fitted.

Name
    Ollie
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Thats for the information fella's. I talked to a few importers who deal with compliance today also, and they have all said the same thing. The guy seems very decent, but I think is just a stickler for the rules, and now that he's mentioned it, I think its going to be a tough job trying to convince him to change his mind, but I'll give it a go! I'll call him up tomorrow and see if I can get him to not worry about it. Alternatively, if the test is cheap enough, I will just save the hastle of fucking around, and get it done.... that way if anyone else needs it down the track, I can share it!

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Just don't take his word as gospel.

Veteran
    Name
    Adan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

ADR 1/00 - reversing lamps

ADR 6/00 - Direction indicators

ADR 47/00 - Retroflectors

ADR 48/00 - number plate lights

ADR 49/00 - side, stop and marker lamps

By the look of most of those rules, if the lights have met ECE requirements they will meet the ADR requirements. I would say the lights meet ECE requirements seeing as Toyots sold the car worldwide...see what he says about that

Veteran
    Name
    Adan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

By coupe, I assume you mean notch back which was never sold here in Australia?

With the recent changes to the RMS and stuff, id say hes doing the right thing. DOTARS ask for alot of information for compliancing, and theres not really many dodgy ways to do it anymore.
    Ill have a look and post some ADR links for you. Then see if he actually knows the ADR requirements to see if hes worth the effort...

Name
    Ollie
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Cool, thanks very much for that Adan, I'll ask him if we are able to do anything like an alternative standard that will be up to the ADR requirements, and I'll mention the above. I'll let you know how I go!