Source:

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

So lack of boot space was the real reason.. Personally i'd prefer to have the rim regardless of how much boot space it takes up... Having said that there is nothing stopping me from buying an additional rim from Toyota and putting a tyre on it.

I wonder what they'd cost and if there would be a 12 month wait on them like there is the car

Name
    Jamie
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Back when RX8 was released I was working at a Mazda dealer, all RX8's were coming with a compressor/goo kit only, which they deemed no good for Australia, so kits were fitted here in Aust to locate a space saver in the boot hanging from the rear bulkhead, I probably fitted all of those in South Aust in the early days(some were fitted well, others a bit dodge ;-) )I remember doing training on RX8 before release and the trainer was saying that once the goo was in the tyre, it was a throw away, it was to get you to a place of tyre replacement, the goo couldn't be removed 100% and would result in a tyre that would be hard to balance. The original rims also don't fit in the boot, so I asked "where do you put the flat tyre once the (Aust fitted) space saver is on", he commented "put it on the back seat", to which I replied "what if you have 4 people in the car?", he said "hide it under a tree and come back later", to which I commented "yeah that'll work in Elizabeth!"
    Hachiroku since 1994

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedSpirit View Post
    When i grow up I wanna be just like Uncle Frak Frak.

Name
    Chris
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

that was the first thing i noticed when i saw the boot, how the tire was not flush. i thought how ridiculous. whats so hard about fitting a space saver. ive said this before but i did not sign up for this car because it had a full size spare.
    MOPAR or no car!

Name
    Tom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

My first thoughts exactly on both things.

They said tyre sealant was the only option, yet other markets for this car (like North America) get a space saver.

The other thing with the sealant kit is you don't get tools.... Looks like I'll be ordering through amayama.
    1983 AE86 ADM rust spec goodness track car build - end of the road
    1984 AE86 Silver ADM mk2 daily build - SOLD
    1984 AE86 ADM granny car daily now 4AGZE - SOLD
    1983 AE86 ADM Engine Conversion Slut - SOLD
    2002 IS200 6spd - new daily in progress
    1986 AE86 JDM GT-Apex Levin Notchback ready to roll......

Veteran
    Name
    Jake
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Just go get a spacesaver from a late model car with same stud pattern and worst case swap one of the front tyres to the back if tyre size is different to rolling diameter of standard wheels.
    "Not all commodore drivers are wankers, but all wankers drive commodores"

Veteran
    Name
    Adan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Mercedes provides no spare wheel and goo standard in their sprinters for ambulances in europe.

I dont see the issue, Id rather have the goo than a space saver anyway. Its cheaper to tow the car than it is to rebuild a new lsd im sure.....

Veteran
    Name
    Jake
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Wouldn't need to rebuild LSD (pretty sure they don't come with one standard anyway?) just put a front wheel on the back and spacesaver on front.
    "Not all commodore drivers are wankers, but all wankers drive commodores"

Veteran
    Name
    Adan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I think they do have an lsd.

And yeah good point....

But in the grand scheme of things for car manufacturers, Australia is probably the only country outside of america where you would really need a spare tire.
    Seeing as Australia is by no means considered the main market for any car model, manufacturers dont really cater for our needs. If a car is to get a flat in japan or some european country, how far away from a town can they really be to actually be bothered to change the tire on the side of the road.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Dear Matthew,

Thank you for your recent email received by the Toyota Customer Experience Centre.

Toyota has made a specification change to the 86 sports car, replacing the full-size spare tyre and wheel with a tyre repair kit, effective from September 2012 production. While the initial vehicles released in Australia did have a full size spare-wheel-and-tyre combination, this inclusion intruded into the car’s luggage area, restricting the storage volume and flexibility of the compact boot space.

As the 86 is already priced very aggressively, to ensure that it is as affordable to as many people as possible, the specification change does not impact the pricing.

To countermeasure the boot volume restrictions, Toyota has developed a polyurethane mat to be fitted to all cars from September 2012 production. The mat covers the spare wheel well. In addition the new 86 has a tyre repair kit, which incorporates an air compressor, sealant and associated signage, fitted within the wheel well. Tyre repair kits are common in many other vehicles currently in the market.

There are significant benefits through this new initiative, including:

1. More boot space – approximately six litres,
    2. The flexibility and convenience of a flat luggage floor,
    3. Reduced risk of damage to belongings placed in the boot,
    4. Greater convenience – where the tyre is capable of repair by the tyre repair kit
    5. A reduction in vehicle weight and small improvement in the power-to-weight ratio contributes to performance characteristics,
    6. Lower real-world fuel consumption – due to the weight reduction,
    7. Environmental benefits – fewer wheels and tyres will be produced (and recycled).

Toyota believes most sport car buyers will appreciate these advantages and many are likely to be familiar with the sealant used as part of the tyre repair kit.

If you have paid a deposit and do not wish to proceed with the purchase you will need to contact your dealer about the situation, including your wish for a refund.

Thank you for contacting Toyota Australia and allowing us the opportunity to respond.

Kind Regards,

Customer Experience Consultant
    Customer Experience Centre
    Toyota Motor Corporation Australia

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast