Thread: General over asked questions

Name
    Ty
    State
    Missouri
    Country
    USA

Default General over asked questions

I recently got my hands on a virgin AE86 SR-5 US spec rolla. Only modifacation it has had is an aftermarket radio and some sheetmetal modifacations (body damage lol) no rust 4ac 5 speed manual. I do not want to go all crazy with it just something with 200 or so hp and good handling. Will play with the car but not gonna be serious about drift or road course racing just a fun daily driver I can tear up empty parking lots with at night. I have read that I have the 7.38" "weak" rearend my question is at lower power levels 200-250 tops what is the best rearend that will provide good durability and not cost more than the car would like lsd.

Has anyone ever turboed a 7Afe and if so what was the power output and did it hold together? as I can get whole donor cars with a 7afe cheaper than I can get a 4a-ge I was thinking that would be a reasonable route to go and it is a slightly different route.

What is a good source of replacement parts my car needs some simple stuff like mirrors and fenders and miss interior bits and pieces mainly an ashtray so it looks complete?

Thanks for any help and not bashing me to death

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

In australia we had the ae112 turbo sportivo which is a stock 7afe engine with a turbo bolted onto it.

Power output was low mostly due to a poor turbo manifold design and low boost. I have not heard of many issues with them ,but they were also limited in numbers to around 500 odd and were gold in colour.

People will tell you the 7afe rods are weak because they are thin, but they'll only really cause a problem if you have oil supply issues.

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

shop online for secondhard parts, ebay.com has plenty of US ae86 parts.

engine choice is whatever is available in your budget.

get a W series box and a strong rear end or a T series and dont aim for big big power, they still can hold boost as many people have done so in the past
    dose