Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Matt's AE85 Trueno Coupe

Name
    Matt
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Australia

hahaha...thanks for the comments guys. It does have a few areas that need some work but overall it's a clean car. Still the original paint from 1985, too!

Ollie, my friend actually suggested I paint them red to match the car but I won't touch them. Instead, I think I'll find some spare bumpers and have them painted and fit them so I can keep the original ones as they are. They're unpainted plastic at the moment.

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Photo's don't do it justice! My favourite 85/86 by a country mile.

Name
    Matt
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Australia

Hi guys,

Just a bit of an update, a reality check if you will. I'm currently fixing a few areas on the body that are in need of attention, mainly the areas where the original owner thought a paintbrush was a good idea to touch up the paint blemishes and a few rusty areas. Rust, my nemesis. I guess it's not too bad for a 27 year old car but it still pisses me off that it has any rust. I thought I'd share some of the nasty bits with you all. It gets fixed next weekend hopefully.

Inside the driver's side front fender.

This is the worst of it. The passenger side has a bit of surface rust and there's some behind the rear bumper, too. A wire wheel will take care of that but a patch will be needed on the driver's side.

Name
    Ben
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Also check the firewall on the passenger side under the wiper, take the cowl off on the driver side and shine a torch down the hole to the end

Name
    Matt
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Australia

Well, I've been a bit slack updating the progress of the car. The rust has been dealt with. We touched up a few paint blemishes while we were at it. I would have liked the touch ups to be better but we were a little rushed for time and red is just one of those colours. Still, the car was ready for the Jap Nats.

Next up, get the new diff gears fitted (4.6:1) once they arrive from Japan and get some more power out of the engine.

Name
    Jon
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Love the look of this thing! Super clean!

Name
    Matt
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Australia

Build update: Well, not much happening with the car lately, still waiting on parts from Japan but I did get the air-con regassed. $179 later I'm now cruising in comfort. Just in time for a stinker weekend up here. At least my chu-hai arrived. Progess has been much more steadier on these.

Name
    Matt
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Australia

Woohoo! Christmas came a little early for me. Got a heap of assorted parts in yesterday. There's still more to be unloaded but this is what I've got so far:

Spare wheels. There A3As are in pretty good condition, I hope to get them widened a bit.

Spare front guards. Always handy to have.

New gear ratios. 4.6:1! Can't wait to have them fitted!

More chu-hi! Just in time for Christmas celebrations.

Name
    Matt
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Australia

Well, after giving the car a thrashing at QR one Friday night I drove home feeling pretty sad about it. The car wasn't very happy either. Gear changes back to 2nd were really hard to do. The shifter just didn't want to go in. I consulted my mate who suggested draining the oil, filling the gearbox with kerosene, running through the gears while the car is up on blocks for a while (I probably did it for 7-8 minutes but should have gone longer), drain the kero and fill the box with Castrol VMX80 oil. He suggested it would take about 50-100km of driving before I'd really start to notice a difference but even just a drive around the block indicated things were working well. 2nd gear is now usable again and will hopefully free up even more. So if anyone is suffering shifting issues I'd say give it a go. I spent $50 on kero and oil and took a few hours of stuffing around to do it all in my garage.
    I'm guessing I'll have to recondition the gearbox out properly sooner or later though as the decision has been made to supercharge the engine. There'll be many updates when that happens.

Name
    Daniel
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I saw an SC12 setup for sale on eBay earlier today.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast