Name
    john
    State
    auckland
    Country
    new zealand

Default JOHNS CAE70

Hey guys,
    Been lurking for ages and decided to sign up when i couldnt get to the info i needed. I recently brought another Granny Spec KE70 and have been working at speed to get back in the game.

So here is the low down on what ive been up to.

Plans as the title suggests is to get back to where i was around a year ago when some lowlife stole my ride. With a few changes here and there. So once again im going with a CA18DET between the towers.

Started collecting all parts to get this project started.
    I picked up a CA18DET and Box with loom ecu etc
    AE86 Discbrake rear, with new bushes, bearings, rotors, rebuilt capipers and a 2way LSD to top it off
    Te71 Pedalbox
    New clutch and Lightned Flywheel
    Turbo Manifold

Chucked a new timing belt and tensioners and waterpump on. New thermostat, clutch and flywheel fitted.

Once again i have put a split my ca gearbox and put the rear half of a skyline r33 gearbox onto it. the main reason i have done this is because the ca box is about 75mm longer then a rb box. in turn makes you have to chop more out of your car and hits handbrake. Plus its stronger and has mechanical speedo.

Also installed my ae86 diff with some of my leftover parts that i had held onto for some reason from my old car

car was almost ready to mount engine. Finished off the TE71 pedal box install. At first i thought sweet its gonna work out. But then NO!

2 problems, steering wheel was out of alignment and clutch pedal hit very bottom of column.

Luckily ive been speaking with a 86fiend and he sent me a link for a spacer. So i went out and brought a tap and die set and came up with this.

And for the clutch pedal i got my stock brake pedal and welded it and chopped clutch pedal to suit. it feels good and in the right position unlike bending it. prety happy

Kept collecting the parts that i need for this sucker. Got stuff like exhaust, bov, gauges and most exciting of the lot,
    Some adjustable front suspension. They've got Wilwood 4pot calipers and vented disks, ps arms, rosejointed lower arms.
    Should give me enough stopping power to get cert, and its still possible to run 14's

Decided where I wanted all my gauges and mounted ready for when i start wiring up the car.

Sorted out the fuel tank for efi. I scavenged a skyline tank with pickup, cut a hole and got it all soldered in the position need. Also modded fuel sender because it hit the new bowl in the bottom, and length as the filter hit the bottom. Just gotta sort out a new pump then bend up some fuel line

Also scored some BC Shocks, Springs and Perches to sort out the rear end.

bc's

13's

Got the engine mounted, 3inch dump made up and was one step closer to getting this thing on the road without a tow rope or trailer, stoaked

Mounted up intercooler, rad+ electric fan and oil cooler.

Last edited by johnblz; 28th August 2012 at 06:51 PM.

Name
    Joe
    State
    NT
    Country
    Australia

I just love seeing ke's that are packed with the power to make regular speedracer/nissans look silly in comparison.

I like the way that intercooler is positioned. When does it hit boost with that manifold/turb/intercooler setup?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdm-Mcc View Post
    quit hatin get bakin!

Name
    AJ
    State
    Wellington
    Country
    New Zealand

Sick build! You make it look so simple.. . What front lip is that?

Name
    john
    State
    auckland
    Country
    new zealand

Not quite sure when it comes on boost yet, im in the prosess of trying to find how to wire up stock tacho. Seems quick though

The lip on the car now is a standard one for this model
    Also my old front lip was off Rhett Del Rosario aka TOYCOOLROLLA in the phillipines, ive paid for another one off him and he has scammed me Saying he sent it twice. Paid in jan for it.

So for anyone reading this STARE CLEAR!!!
    Last edited by johnblz; 2nd October 2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: change

Name
    Chris
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

That looks amazing, nice work. Tidy conversion!

Name
    john
    State
    auckland
    Country
    new zealand

Well holidays are sweet.
    Managed to get new exhaust done before xmas. I went from a 3inch dump to a sml coby then 2.5 the rest of the way to muffler and out.

Also in the last few days been flaring/ pumping the guards a bit.

Name
    Daniel
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Looks clean as dude! Love it!

Name
    Jake
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

CA LOVE! dx looks funky as!

Name
    john
    State
    auckland
    Country
    new zealand

Well my brakes wern't 100% from upgrading to Wilwood setup and AE86 Disc Brake. So I took out stock master and replaced it
    with a Mitsi Pajero master which has a bigger 15/16th bore. Also got a Rear Proportioning Valve for adjustment.

It all went pretty smoothly and was a bolt in afair. The few parts i needed was a couple of banjo bolts from a Mazda 626 clutch master and a couple of 323 brake lines. $25 from pik apart.
    Also a 1/8th NPT male - 1.0x10mm female adapter for the Prop Valve to the stock line. $30

Also finally after 1 year and 2mths my chin lip spoiler turned up from Rhett. Bit of finetuning and it should come out sweet.

Last edited by johnblz; 3rd March 2013 at 07:52 PM. Reason: change