Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: James' Panda Levin Notchy

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Cheers guys, kinda forgot how much fun this was even just driving to work after leaving it to sit for so long.

Also picked up a set of SSR SP1 for the GF's car that needed painting. Her only request was that it had to look good, and shit loads of glitter. Looks so good I decided instead of painting the 13" Streets the proper gloss black in the inserts they're going the same now too.

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I did a thing...

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Took it out for a a TCCAV coffee and donuts event yesterday, and took the long way home around the dandenongs. Car is still performing faultlessly and the engine is still freeing up more and more every time I drive it, goes so much better than when it was first built now.

Needs a front lip of some sort though, hating how high it looks at the moment. Someone help a brother out?

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Made it look purdy again for Sakura picnic on the weekend. A050 are insane for night time hills action also, grip is ridiculous. Thinking of toning it down with some smaller tyres on the track wheels to make it more accessible.

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I've had some terrible luck with gearboxes with this car, car is on it's fourth box since I've owned it and the current frankenbox made of all the usable bits left from the last three is on it's last legs. Matt has come to the rescue with a known good one for me being the absolute champion that he is.

The power-steering pump is also on it's way out, so as soon as I get some free time the whole system will be coming out and I'll be converting the current rack to manual.

Name
    Scott
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

That sucks about the gearboxes Jimmee.
    Hopefully the next one will be the last for some time!

I'd love to see how you tackle the manual steering conversion as I'm looking to do the same to my car soon.
    Either my pump is playing up or there is dirt/air in the fluid as my steering issues have come and gone.

If you could write up how you did it and what bits you used that would be very useful.
    I've done a bit of reading but there seems to be a few ways you can tackle the conversion and I'm not sure if what I have read americans do will convert into LHD.

Anyways goodluck with the next box.

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Hey Scott, I'm going to be keeping the current P/S rack in the car. Just removing all the internal valving etc to make it essentially a manual rack rather than just looping the lines like most of the US guys do.

Doing it this way you don't need to swap the rack and crossmember, or worry about conversion steering shafts and bushes (plus for me as I don't need to actually buy anything). You do end up with slightly less lock potential than the true manual rack though.

If this gearbox dies I'm going straight to a J160 with the SQ Engineering kit, just funds are very tight atm due to buying a house.

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

When did you change front bars?

Shame about all the T50s, what have you been doing to them???

I remember when I sold my GZE GTV I got a call from the bloke, apparently he'd gotten half way back to QLD (from Sydney) and blown the gearbox. I asked him what he had been doing to it (it was by far the best T50 I had ever driven and had been faithful to me for a couple of years of daily driving) and he tried to claim he was just pottering around the neighbourhood... I call BS

I love seeing cars like yours because, although I've always preferred the hatchback, it reminds me that every form of the 86 can look really sweet when its clean and tastefully modified.

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

The kouki bar got sold a few years to help pay for the RunFree bar, as I've always been a massive team mouse and RunFree fanboy for as long as I've been into 86's. The zenki front bar is on there now for daily duties to make the car a little less obvious to police, I swap them over with the bigger wheels if I'm doing a track day or a car show usually.

All the gearboxes either strip third gear under load, or the input shaft bearing falls apart. No real drifting or clutch kicking in this car, purely setup for grip but I do have about 105-110rwkw which probably doesn't help.

I've had hatches and coupes before, and I really wanted a coupe again when I was buying this car because it's a bit rarer in Aus and I like the look of them a little better. Seeing your new hatch did make me think about it though, your car looks awesome!

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Cool man, completely get the stock bar for stealth!

150hp is great power but I wouldn't have thought T50s would die from those sorts of numbers unless you had the extra torque from boost and a bunch of driveline abuse from drifting or burnouts... weird

Also, we can't keep going around and complimenting each other's cars too much or people will start to talk

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast