Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: James' Panda Levin Notchy

Name
    Jarrad
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

WUT WUT?!! You had the notch that was in the street pretty often?
    Small, small world.

Well, there's an AE86 in the making hiding out there

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

The real ratty white Trueno one? Yeah that was my old one haha.

Name
    Jarrad
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

By ratty - you mean the "daily driven" one? haha. Always wondered where it went, thought you may have that r34-fronted Stagea now. Guess not!

I don't know if you ever go back to Nissan, but i sold my NOCHEV VR commodore (for a ridiculous sum of $4,500!) that was there sometimes, daily-ed the ke70 for a few months, then bought a black 2002 corolla and the 86! It's a long way off, but I can't wait to be cruising in it.

Will keep tuned to your build for sure, and may even bump into you at an event/cruise. Keep up the work! Interested in seeing more engine work, as I'll be going down the rebuild path on mine.
    Last edited by Jrad; 29th January 2014 at 03:38 PM.

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Well the engine in this finally died last night, has a very loug big end noise and a big dint in the side of the sump so looks like it's rebuild time sooner than I was hoping. Considering all signs point to the previous owner not being very kind to it at all for the 160,000km he had it, and me also pushing it fairly hard since I have I'm impressed it lasted this long. I will be building a standard smallport bottom end for it with my ported head and Clive cams I'm currently running and then build the more serious bottom end with the CP pistons, TRD rods and modified crank later when I have some more money put aside for either an Adaptronic or Haltec and getting it tuned properly.

I picked up a full gasket set, ARP rod bolts, head bolts and some timing tensioners today, then drop the block off to get bored to 82mm and decked and hopefully all back together within 7-10 days. Wish me luck

Name
    Jarrad
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Oh man! Sucks. But sometimes it's the motivation you need.

I just need to chat with you instead of flooding this thread haha!
    I've been looking at cams for mine, and Clive Cams is really local - what does a pair of his set you back?
    And where's your block off to? I have a mate that recommended a place, but he received it back later on with fine weld that was spat into the bores - this obviously wreaked havoc once it was put back together and ran in :/ So still getting the word on a decent shop locally.

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Bad news but better things ahead.
    Bitter sweet.
    You'll have this back in no time.
    Have a spare motor if you need it

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I will have everything back from being machined tomorrow, the bearings all worked out standard which is good and had it bored to 82mm. Then the race is on to have it running and ready for Saturday to hopefully take some people for demo runs at the BBQ. Fingers crossed but I should easily make it.

Also if anyone has some 16v valve shims in .119" and .121" thick I will happily take them off your hands, as I only have thinner sizes at home (:

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

After the setbacks I had with everything not being machined on time, and then buying another car for a daily I have been taking my time and cleaning everything up in the engine bay and repainting a lot of things so this is finally back together. Just need to drop the motor back in the car and run it in.

However now that I have a daily I can afford for this to be off the road, so after the engines run in I'm going to sell it all off as a long motor with the loom and ECU and get cracking on the serious engine. Tossing up whether to use a standard crank heavily modified, or if I can't find any in perfect condition possibly a Spool standard stroke crank. Going to be running an Adaptronic with coil packs and a custom plenum I think. Also some shiny things came in the work delivery today...

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Sounds cool. Pics of daily

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I got a massive amount of things done on this tonight, motivation is at an all time high at the moment. Copied Andy and moved the charcoal canister under the inner guard and drilled a couple of holes for the lines to run through, removed everything from the engine bay and cleaned all the built up dirt and stains off the paint from the last 25 years of never being washed.

Took the TVIS apart and cut up the shafts and bonded the left over pieces in the holes to keep the runners separated and blocked off all the vacuum fittings as well. I will be blending the TVIS plate into the port shape a bit too, as I don't like how it goes from two small runners into one massive port with a big square edge so hopefully cut down on some turbulence there. Also took all the lights and panels off the front end and clean everything up to be re-painted in satin black, as well as painting all the accessories and the coolant and washer fluid bottles.

Got some new wheels too, I think you guys are going to like them...

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast