Thread: Grip suspension setups

Name
    Stuart
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Australia

Default Grip suspension setups

I picked up my 86 on Friday from the docks and organized some wheels n tyres for it, 15 x 9 -10J rears with 225/50 Kumho V70A, 15 x 8 0J fronts with 205/50 V70A. The car has a adj shocks, 50mm rca's, crazy springs (Drifts very well), Rx7 front calipers, std rear discs, 130rwhp. Goes well.

I was able to get a couple of laps in at QR Sunday arvo to see how it handles etc before this comming weekends Street Sprints in Pitsworth. boy oh boy, does it slide.

I would love some direction on grip setups that people have used that work well, spring rates, ride heights, camber, toe, castor etc...

Name
    Chris
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

If you're looking at setting some serious times and want something that gives you grip i believe the setup i offer is a pretty good bit of kit.

Pending what spring rates and what tyre i would normally say about 2 degrees of camber works well, neutral toe.

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

i think your after this link here
    with that link you can get a rough idea of what to expect from different setups.

but there is an ideal setup for having more grip *which can get very complicated very fast and i know nothing of*.
    unless you are consistently testing your setup and improving in times or getting worse in times, its pretty hard to figure out exactly what works for you and what doesn't, and that can be a fun thing which im finding out myself at the moment.

Sounds like your car has some pretty sweet mods already, i would say use what you already have, try different wheel alignment which is as important as driving skills and do a lot of driving obviously.
    dose

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

get some shockworks coilovers, at full soft it has bucket loads of grip, while at the track keep adjusting the shock setting until you find your perfect handling setting.
    other converts here with serious track cars will tell you the same thing, mines just a daily/touge car.

Name
    Stuart
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Australia

Spring rates, sway bar size and ride height are my main point of interest at the moment. Even though a smaller wheel with taller side wall is going to give some better compliance and grip, I would think a spring choice can help regain results in that area. I have a reasonable amount of motosport exp, just not with this platform and am starting from scrach. Ride height and spring rates I figure are the best place to start. Looking at the rear springs, they are cut and overkill fat... these are the first thing I want to change, soften them up, raise it up. I want to raise the front ride height a little too, I think it is just too low.

Thanks for the link, very much what I was looking for, has a lot for drift in there.

When I get it fome tonight I'll take some accurate measurements.
    Last edited by Noddy; 3rd September 2012 at 05:17 PM.

Name
    Chris
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Leave bar alone unless you really have to, if you're chasing grip. We have found good balance with a 6/4 setup, guess it depends on what dampers you're using though.

Name
    Stuart
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Australia

Springs are 6/7+ish, no wonder the ballance feels sooooo out of wack. Fronts are adjustabe, gas and any ones guess of brand at the moment. Although the rear a set are only a set of oil only TRD greens, at least they are adjustable. I've had them all out on the bench and seem to be in good order. I will have a hunt about for some 4kg rear springs today, any suggestions on ride height Chris?
    Last edited by Noddy; 4th September 2012 at 07:52 AM.

Name
    Oscar
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I guess it will depend where your doing your driving.
    I run 5 and 3.5kg springs with my bilsteins, I could go softer again.
    Don't really feel the need for swaybars at the moment. This car is for grip on street surfaces.

Name
    Chris
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

There's a few factors, the main thing to watch is that your lcas don't go over centre.

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

get softer springs, and a different wheel alignment

perhaps pinion angle adjustment on the rear

pm me if you want quote on springs or set up advice
    - 10 year anniversary Tshirts http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...irts-group-buy -

Garage sale http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...3-autumn-sales Specials on front end kits - pm me

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast