Thread: Track\Daily challenge

Name
    Stuart
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Australia

Default Track\Daily challenge...Now For Sale

On the last day I was in Japan, on my way to the airport, I looked at this 86. The idea was to cut it up, put it in a container and to put into an Tureno rally shell i have here. It was far too nice to cut up. There is such little rust in it, it just isnt funny. I have got approval to register it when I get a rwc and LO1 plate etc, however; the cage will have to come out and the bonnet will need to be replaced.

I picked it up Friday week ago, took it to Option 1 to look at what wheels will fit( 15x8 0 front & 15x9 -10 rear) over to Hornibrook Motorsport Tyres for a set of Kumho V70A boots(205/50/15 front & 225/45/15 rear). Saturday on the dyno just to check mixtures which were way way to rich. Narrow port on 45mm webbers punched out 125rwhp at about 8000 rpm. Its a bit smokey top end of the revs so we are going to pull it down for a freshenup and see what is really in it. HKS 272 cams, BeR 4 into 1 pipes on a 2.5 stainless system (with cat) and TODA cam gears are the only known items at the moment. Sunday I got a few test laps in at Queensland Raceway and found out 1, it stops after the brakes get hot & 2 Slides waaayyy easy.

Through the week I looked at shocks and springs, 6kg front and back with TRD blue shocks. Brakes are FD RX7 front and std calliper rear with 1 of the harder compound Endless pad. Springs have been orded as have some Hawk HT10 pads, still waiting for them.

Last weekend I took it to the Pittsworth Street Sprints, 1201-1600 unreg class. There was some very well sorted cars in the class, even another 86 with a 20v and several years of suspension development. 2nd in class was the best I could manage, a 1200 coupe came first with a 1500 engine that now measures allmost 1600 and has had over 15 years of development with it's current owner. I will be competitive with him next time... get the suspension sorted and a fresh engine... look out!

This is a short clip of the cars journy in the short time I have owned it.

Last edited by Noddy; 30th August 2013 at 12:20 AM.

Name
    Chris
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Not a bad steerer. Quick for a 4age!

Veteran
    Name
    Jake
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

That track is at QR?! Where abouts?
    "Not all commodore drivers are wankers, but all wankers drive commodores"

Name
    Brett
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Almost looks like its the roads around the drag strip?

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Near T-bar. How come the cage has to come out. can't get it plated? Sounds very nice.

Name
    Stuart
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Australia

Its a closed street circuit in the industrial estate in the town of Pitsworth. Gatton, Oakey and Leyburn have simillar events, where the winner of each class is who can set the fastest lap for the weekend. Very much like a single rally stage.
    The cage is a cusco safety 21 cage, but the Qld DOT regulations are different and it wil not pass :-(
    Last edited by Noddy; 13th September 2012 at 05:56 PM.

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Hmmm, is it too much to ask for some pictures? I have the rear half of a Cusco 7 point cage with a mod plate and I've been chasing the front hoops for a long time, now I wonder what the story is... My car must have come in to the country with the full cage, it still has the steel plates in the front foot wells.

Veteran
    Name
    Jake
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Ah looks like a good little track! How often do they run the event?
    "Not all commodore drivers are wankers, but all wankers drive commodores"

Name
    Stuart
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Australia

It has been buging me that a few people I trust were commenting that this thing was noticably smokey, patricularly at the top end of the rev range. That coupled with what I call excessive blow by even at idle prompted me to pull the engine out.

The bore is quite glazed and scored in places, the rings are similar condition. Not real surprising when I look back at how rich it was running when I first got it. Also, its first oil change showed some very fine debris in the pan... not the shiny bearing type, just vrey fine dust. I guess no air filters will do that.
    Inside the motor it was very clean, this thing has not done much work at all. machined and ballanced crank, rods and pistions. The flywheel has been lightened. 5.8 kg combined fly and pressure plate. Metal race bearings, forged rods, hks 272 cams and a host of other goodies. The real surprise is how worn some of the bearings were. just take a look. this is why air filters are so important.

Main caps
    #3 big end was the worst

Big ends

lightening in the crown of the pistions?

It is getting power honed, new rings to match, new set of undersize king bearings as the crank needs regrinding, #1,2&5 were particularly badly worn. The clutch is getting a birthday while it is all in bitz. The 45mm Webbers are getting checked, the head is off for a clean and look over/tidy up, a set of ARP bolts are on the way as is an underdrive pully set. Ballancing is being checked on it as well, looks like it was all done in Jp, but I want to know it is right. The box is off getting a service as well and to check the gear set out, there was a chip in the oil when I drained it. I was told it has a TRD close ratio set in it and a TRD 2 way diff... the diff checks out, now I will Know about the box in a day or so.

It will be good to know for sure what is in the the thing and that it is all in prefect condition. I will putting a peddle box in tis weekend so There is plenty of room for air cleaners. I think the remote oil cooler and filter has been piped wrongly, putting backward oil flow through the filter. Something to check out when I get back home.
    Last edited by Noddy; 27th September 2012 at 01:58 AM.

Name
    Andy
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Engine sounds good. How much did it cost for the 86 inc shipping?

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast